Around the American: Week one around the conference

Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts (2) warms up wearing arm bands stating "Pray for Houston," before the first half of an NCAA football game between Alabama and Florida State, Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

The American Athletic Conference had a strong week one to begin the new football season, with its members going 8-3 overall. No. 19 USF notched their second win of the season by beating Stony Brook 31-17. USF trailed Stony Brook 10-7 at halftime, but rallied in the second half to avoid being on the receiving end of monumental upset.

Both Navy and Tulane opened their seasons with strong performances from their new quarterbacks. Navy’s new quarterback, Zach Abey, set an American Athletic Conference record by rushing for 235 yards in the game, the most of an AAC quarterback in a single game in Navy’s 42-19 win over Florida Atlantic. Tulane’s new quarterback, Jonathan Banks threw for three touchdowns and ran for one in a 43-14 victory against Grambling State.

Cincinnati’s new head coach, Luke Fickell, found success in his debut as the Bearcats beat the Austin Peay Governors 26-14.  Memphis defeated Louisiana-Monroe 37-29 last Thursday. The team rushed for 319 yards, including three touchdown runs of over 55 yards.

SMU and UCF both handedly won their games this weekend. SMU had three different quarterbacks throw a touchdown in its 58-14 win over Stephen F. Austin University. UCF had 13 different players complete receptions in a 61-17 rout against Florida International.

No. 10 Oklahoma State defeated Tulsa on Thursday, by a score of 59-24. Oklahoma completed 20 of its 24 passes with no interceptions on its way to victory. The other two AAC defeats this week came on Saturday when Notre Dame beat defending AAC champion Temple University 49-16 and James Madison beat ECU 34-7.

Houston’s game versus the University of Texas at San Antonio was postponed due to Hurricane Harvey. Conference play begins Saturday for the AAC, with UConn hosting UCF, Navy hosting Tulane and UCF hosting Memphis.

Jacob Marsalisi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jacob.marsalisi@uconn.edu.