Melissa’s Menu: Strawberry banana frozen yogurt

This week on Melissa's Menu, the author whipped together a strawberry-banana frozen yogurt as summer's final treat before fall's apple and pumpkin flavors take over everyone's tastebuds. (Personal Creations/Creative Commons)

With summer winding down, it can be easy to crave those classic summer treats, like ice cream, before everything becomes apple and pumpkin flavored. That’s why this week’s recipe is strawberry-banana frozen yogurt. It’s healthy, it’s super easy to make, and it’s the perfect treat as you try to cling to the last bit of warm weather and sunshine.

strawberry-banana-frozen-yogurt.png

Ingredients:

3 cups frozen strawberries
3 frozen bananas
2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
Chopped fresh strawberries for topping (optional)

Directions:

First, combine the frozen strawberries, bananas and yogurt in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a food processor a blender can also work. Then, pour the mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish and spread it out evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the fresh strawberries evenly on top. Lastly, cover the dish with plastic wrap and freeze for two hours (or until hardened).  

My favorite part about this recipe is how simple and easy it is. Even if you have never cooked or baked before this is definitely something you can handle. Since it is just fruit and yogurt it is a guilt-free dessert that will leave your ice cream cravings satisfied. It can also become a very personalized treat. You can pick whichever fruit combinations and flavor of yogurt you want, or even add in honey to sweeten it up a bit. Overall, this is a great snack to treat yourself to as we say goodbye to summer.

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.