Tang Karaoke and BBQ is a Real Hit

The Tang Karaoke and BBQ serves fantastic Chinese cuisine and allows you up to 14 of your friends to sing karaoke in a private room with food and bottle service. 

Chris Hanna / The Daily Campus

You won’t find any place like Tang at The University of Connecticut, that’s for sure. You can get your karaoke fix at the Student Union’s Late Night, but you won’t necessarily get the best Chinese cuisine. You can also get good food all over the place on campus, but you won’t (necessarily) get to jam out to your favorite songs at the same time.

The Tang Karaoke and BBQ bar fixes that dilemma pretty easily by serving you fantastic Chinese cuisine and allowing you and up to 14 of your friends to sing karaoke to your hearts’ delight in a private room with food and bottle service.

Strictly from a food perspective, Tang has a small menu with a variety of BBQ skewers and noodle bowls to choose from, along with several appetizers ranging from sweet potato fries to dumplings. The restaurant is expecting to add a few more options to the menu in the weeks to come to give customers a better experience. The restaurant also offers a triple layer chocolate mousse cake for dessert.

I personally tried the chicken skewer and the braised beef noodle bowl. I found myself pleasantly surprised with the flavor since I wasn’t expecting a restaurant that prides itself on being a karaoke bar to have the best food. The chicken skewer, in particular, had a very smoky taste, as if it came straight off the grill at a backyard cookout.

Jenna Taormina, a seventh semester biomedical engineering student dining at the restaurant, had the fish tofu skewer and noted the same smoky flavor with a nice spicy aftertaste that wasn’t too overwhelming.

The braised beef noodle bowl was much larger than I expected, and quite filling as a result. The beef was cooked very well and basically melted in my mouth. The broth, filled with noodles, eggs and seasonal vegetables, was a perfect complement to the rest of my meal.

A big plus was the excellent service. The food was served quickly and the friendly waiters were always ready to provide water refills.

Tang’s dining room is very aesthetically pleasing with T-shirts on the walls and little origami cranes at the bar, and the private karaoke rooms are filled with neon lights and a selection of as many as 300,000 songs.

Can’t find your favorite jam on the song list? You can download the song from the Cloud or just plug your phone into the computer and sing along.

The karaoke rooms are available for reservation and prices vary by time of day and day of the week; they’re generally more expensive after 6 p.m. and on weekends.

Tang is also looking to introduce special offers to bring more people in for karaoke, including one offer coming up this Thursday. Tang’s Thirsty Thursday, for our of-legal-drinking-age readers, will take place from 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. and will give customers free booze equal to the amount they spend in the karaoke room, which seems like a pretty good deal. You will have to make a reservation ahead of time if you’re interested.

All in all, I would definitely recommend a visit to Tang, at least once for the private karaoke room experience. The food is worthwhile and the opportunity to jam out in a private room like a celebrity is pretty cool too.

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor  for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.