Women’s Soccer: Huskies prepare for red-hot Razorbacks

The Huskies will welcome the Arkansas Razorbacks to Storrs on Thursday night. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s soccer team (1-3-1) are coming off their first win of the season against Central Connecticut State University. Although it was a dominant 3-0 victory, getting number two on Thursday won’t be easy.

The Huskies will welcome SEC opponent Arkansas (4-2) to Storrs on Thursday night in a crucial match-up for a team looking to build some momentum.

However, for a UConn team that has struggled to score thus far, Arkansas presents a far-from-ideal match-up. The Huskies have scored four goals all season while the Razorbacks have scored 11 goals in their last game alone.

Arkansas enters Thursday’s contest having won each of their last three games, with their last loss against being Penn State, the No. 1 ranked team in the country at the time. During the three-game winning streak, the Razorbacks have outscored their opponents 19-1, capped by an 11-0 rout of Mississippi Valley on Sunday.

The Razorbacks are led by freshman forward Parker Goins, who leads the team with 12 points, including four goals and four assists, on the year. Two players have split time in goal so far for Arkansas, with freshman Rachel Harris getting most of the starts lately. Harris has 11 saves on the season and a .647 save percentage.

UConn is fresh off their most encouraging performance of the season, a 3-0 end-to-end victory over CCSU. The Huskies did not look like a team that had only scored one goal in their previous four games. They created good shots on set pieces, passed the ball effectively and capitalized on clean looks in the box.

“The most important thing is fighting like that,” said senior Sabrina Toole after Sunday’s game, in which she scored her first career goal. “[We have to keep] focusing on set pieces the same way. We just have to keep working for each other and take this fight into every game.”

For the Huskies, freshman Kess Elmore leads the team with two goals. Redshirt freshman Mollie Kerrigan has been terrific in goal, totaling 21 saves with a .808 save percentage.

Thursday will mark the first meeting ever between the two programs. The game is set for 7 p.m. at the Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.

Andrew Morrison is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24