Drink of the Week: Summertime Sangria

(Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Even though break is over, we still have a couple of weeks before the season of pumpkin spice takes over. In honor of the summer season, we here at Drink of the Week present our Summertime Sangria. The Spanish drink is refreshingly delicious and chock full of summery citrus fruits. One of the best things about this recipe is how versatile it is. Pretty much any fruit can be used in sangria fruits like apples, berries, peaches and most citrus fruits are all fair game. If you don’t have any rum on standby, brandy should also do the trick. We kept our recipe short and simple, but that didn’t make it any less delicious.

Ingredients:

• 1 Lemon
  • 1 Orange
  • 1 Bottle of Red Wine
  • 1 shot of Rum
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 Can of Ginger Beer

Cut the lemon and orange into slices. Squeeze out the juice and then place them into your container. Pour out the entire bottle of wine and toss in a shot of rum for a little extra kick. Add two tablespoons of sugar and mix well. Chill in the refrigerator overnight. Before you serve your sangria, add the can of ginger beer to top it off. If you just can’t wait to take a sip, serve over ice instead of chilling it in the refrigerator. Serves about five to six people.

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if we are sober.