Football: UConn vs. USF officially canceled due to Hurricane Irma

Connecticut running back Nate Hopkins (11) is greeted by quarterback Bryant Shirreffs (4) in the end zone after scoring in the fourth quarter of an NCAA college football game against Holy Cross, Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017, in East Hartford, Conn. (Stephen Dunn/AP)

UConn football’s Saturday morning home game against USF has been canceled due to concerns over Hurricane Irma, both schools confirmed in releases Thursday. The game will not be rescheduled due to conflicting schedules over the rest of the season.

“I know both our team and USF were excited about a chance to play this weekend,” UConn head coach Randy Edsall said in UConn’s release. “We certainly are disappointed, but clearly understand that this is something totally out of everyone’s control. I hope that [USF] Coach [Charlie] Strong, his team and the entire community impacted by this storm remain safe and know that we are thinking about them as they deal with this.”

The game was originally moved from a 12 p.m. kickoff to 10:30 a.m., with the move intended to get USF on an earlier return flight before Irma fully touched down in Florida. With travel concerns becoming worse, a decision was made to not play the game.

“After consultation with university leadership and outside agencies, I believe it is not appropriate for our team to travel at this time,” USF Director of Athletics Mark Harlan said in the Bulls’ release.

The cancellation leaves UConn with 11 games on their 2017 schedule, with five of those taking place at Rentschler Field and Nov. 18’s home game against Boston College moved to Fenway Park. The Huskies’ next home game is Oct. 6 against Memphis.

UConn Athletics will provide details next week to all USF game ticket holders regarding future ticket options.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.