Column: Time to move transfer deadline day

In this Sunday, May 21, 2017 file photo, Chelsea's Eden Hazard celebrates after scoring his side's second goal during their English Premier League soccer match against Sunderland at Stamford Bridge stadium in London. (Kirsty Wigglesworth/AP)

The transfer deadline day needs to close before the season starts in world soccer.

The English Premier League recently voted to move the close of the summer transfer window forward and it has been reported that the ruling has been accepted and will go into place next summer. The change would move the deadline to the day before the season starts.

While I agree this should be done, I believe the EPL must now convince other leagues to get on board. If not, this may backfire as English clubs will be at a disadvantage as players could leave the league, without the possibility of being replaced.

For those of you unfamiliar with soccer, in European soccer a team can only buy players from July 1 to August 31 and in the month of January. Most leagues will be one to three games into their season before the summer window closes.

I am mainly referring to European soccer because leagues in the Americas often run on different schedules and thus have different transfer windows.

While it can be argued that the deadline being after the season starts is favorable because teams can address any holes, after an array of preseason games a team should already know their weaknesses.

Similarly, while clubs have the opportunity to strengthen their squads, they can also lose players at the deadline without enough time to replace them, leaving a hole until January.

Having the deadline at its current date often leads to distractions as players try to force a sale. For example this summer Virgil Van Dijk and Philippe Coutinho both submitted transfer requests in an attempt to force moves. As a result, neither played in their team's opening three matches, despite playing major roles for their respective teams. In the end, both players remained with their clubs and now must go through the awkward process of returning to training with their teams.

One of the world’s biggest leagues reportedly agrees with me, now it is time to wait and see if other leagues follow suit. My approval of this move heavily relies on other leagues making the move as well. It has been reported that in 2019 the EPL will be reviewed so it can be scrapped if it proves to be a failure.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.