Fifth Harmony's self-titled album full of hits and misses

Fifth Harmony’s self-titled third studio album, and the first without Camila Cabello, is full of modern pop songs that are easy to listen and dance to, but lacks enough substance that really sticks with you.

“Fifth Harmony,” released on Aug. 25, includes 10 tracks full of sugary lyrics about boys, love and girl power. The album flows well together, almost a little too well, as many of the songs sound kind of similar. Despite losing a member, the album sounds very similar to their previous work. The ladies have amazing vocals and harmonies as usual, but it almost feels like something is missing. This album feels very safe for them, and personally I was looking for them to take a little risk and switch things up a bit.

Members Ally Brooke, Normani Kordei, Dinah Jane and Lauren Jauregui have had quite a rocky year, beginning with fifth member Cabello leaving the group in December 2016.The girls told the LA Times that they were also exhausted from constant touring and felt that they were not having much of a say in the creative aspects of creating their music. They proved that despite these hard times they would continue to be a powerful force in the music industry and have now released their third album in three years.

“We've been creating sounds that we've been wanting to touch base on. Some R&B tones, some rhythmic tones. It's been amazing to create with one another because we're so different when it comes to music," said Jane to Galore Magazine. "We love different genres. So, to vibe together and create this Fifth Harmony sound is what makes it so special."

Ballads “Don’t Say You Love Me” and “Messy” are both filled with emotion and are definitely two highlights on the album. “He Like That,” “Lonely Night” and “Sauced Up” are those classic Fifth Harmony songs that are bright, fun and catchy. “Bridges” gets slightly political, speaking of spreading love and unity instead of hate. “Deliver” has a more R&B than pop vibe, which really works for them.

Personally, I love Fifth Harmony. Their music is uplifting, sassy and really showcases female talent. This made me really excited for this album, and I went in expecting to be wowed. Unfortunately I was a little let down. There’s nothing wrong with the album and there are no songs on it that I don’t like, but there also aren’t really any songs that particularly stick out. As I said earlier, it is very similar to their past work. For example, “Down,” the first single released, sounds like a slightly watered-down version of their huge hit “Work from Home”. These ladies have so much talent, and in their future work I would like to see them really push themselves to show it off.  

This is an album that I will definitely continue to listen to, and I think it will do pretty well on the charts. “Fifth Harmony” debuted 4th on the Billboard Top 200 and on iTunes. They will be touring in South America, Australia and New Zealand starting Sept. 29 to promote the album.

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.