SUBOG plans fall semester events

(Courtesy/University of Connecticut)

The Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) at the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus will put on a variety of events this semester for students, such as weekly movie showings and homecoming programs.

SUBOG president and seventh-semester marketing major Julia D’Alessandro said the organization will kick off its events for this semester with a do-it-yourself mason jar sundae program today, Sept. 8.

Other events in which students can take part this semester include apple picking, lawn game olympics, various comedy shows, a reviving confidence through dance program, an open mic night, a trip to the New England Aquarium and an outing to a New York Yankees game, according to D’Alessandro.

SUBOG will bring the Dear World project to campus for several days this semester as well, D’Alessandro said.

“So what (Dear World) do(es) is…you’re given a marker, and you share your story however you want,” D’Alessandro said. “People usually write on their arms or on their hands. And it’s just either a short phrase or whatever and they’ll take a picture of you. And it’s just so cool and it’s such a moving event.”

D’Alessandro said SUBOG is now at work on its plans for homecoming this year.

“Homecoming is going really well…we have the parade, which is going to be a little bit different for teams this year which is really cool. We’re going to be providing them a space on campus to build their floats and it’s going to be a lot of fun,” D’Alessandro said. “The day before the parade is when the floats are being built, and then the parade will happen and then we’ll still do homecoming carnival.”

This year’s homecoming will additionally feature traditional homecoming programs such as a homecoming pageant and homecoming royalty, D’Alessandro said.

According to D’Alessandro, concerts will be “revamped” this year.

“I can’t share the details for the fall concert just yet, but definitely keep an eye out for travel concert trips,” D’Alessandro said. “We’ll go to venues…I think that’s definitely different and I’m interested to see how they go, instead of doing a homegrown concert which is really expensive on our end. It’ll also give people an opportunity to go off campus.”

D’Alessandro also said students can watch a previously released movie for free on Friday evenings and a recently released movie for $2 on Thursday and Saturday nights; movies are shown in the Student Union Theatre. Free movies this semester include Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1, Don’t Think Twice, Man of Steel, Cars, Drive, Psycho, The Shining, Get Out, Minions, Saving Private Ryan and Kingsman: The Secret Service, she said.

Comedian Chris Gethard, who appears in Don’t Think Twice, will perform a set prior to the film’s showing, D’Alessandro said.

D’Alessandro said SUBOG will put on a travel trip to the Mansfield Movie Complex when the movie Thor: Ragnarok premieres this November.

According to D’Alessandro, students can receive up-to-date information about event dates, times and locations through SUBOG’s social media accounts and its news email, the SUBOG Scoop.

Alexandra Retter is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.