Water shutdown in Austin

The water in the University of Connecticut’s Austin Building was shut down tonight due to an offset 10-inch water line.

The shutdown started at around 5:00 p.m. and is expected to last around four hours.

An email sent out today on behalf of the Dean’s Office said activities in the building involving the use of corrosive substances, flammables and other hazardous materials and hot work activities must be postponed until water has been restored to the emergency eyewashes, safety showers, drench hoses and fire suppression systems.

“Work activities can resume once Facilities Operations has confirmed that water pressure has been restored. You may encounter discolored water upon restoration of normal water services. Please run the water for 30-45 minutes to flush out the system prior to calling the Operations Center,” the email said.

Students spoke on the impact the water stoppage had on their schedule.

“I was disappointed to learn the water was going to be off in Austin during my Model United Nations meeting because now I won’t be able to drink any water or use the bathroom during the meeting. I hope this will be the only time it happens,” said third-semester physiology and neurobiology major Monica Antony.

Third-semester actuarial science major Charith Tirumani said his statistics professor read the email notification to the class.

“I was annoyed that he had to take up class time to explain the situation to us and that people had to leave class to use the bathroom before the water was turned off,” Tirumani said.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.