Espinoza-Hunter to transfer from UConn women’s basketball program

UConn head coach Geno Auriemma shouts instructions to his team in the Huskies' 80-71 win over the Notre Dame Irish on Dec. 3, 2017 at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut. (Charlotte Lao, Associate Photo Editor/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s basketball guard Andra Espinoza-Hunter will transfer, according to a release from UConn Athletics.

Espinoza-Hunter, a freshman, has played seven games for the Huskies this season, averaging two points in seven minutes per game. She had missed the last five games, with UConn head coach Geno Auriemma citing “personal reasons” for Espinoza-Hunter’s absence.

“I have enjoyed getting to know Andy and her family,” Auriemma said in a statement. “Everyone at UConn wishes Andy all the best as she continues her college career elsewhere.”

Espinoza-Hunter was one of four top-50 recruits in the Class of 2017 to join the Huskies’ loaded roster. She was the No. 16-overall recruit according to ESPN and was the Gatorade Player of the Year in New York for 2017. Espinoza-Hunter also considered attending Duke before committing to UConn.

Espinoza-Hunter attended Blair Academy in New Jersey for three years in high school, where she played with current Husky Batouly Camara. Espinoza-Hunter played her final year of high school at Ossining Senior High School in Ossining, New York, where former Husky Saniya Chong once played.

Christopher Hanna is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball and football. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.