Football: UConn hires Bears' John Dunn, former Edsall assistant, as new offensive coordinator

John Dunn has been named the new offensive coordinator of the UConn football team, the school announced in a press release Friday.

Dunn agreed to a two-year contract worth $300,000 per year to replace the departed Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator. Dunn will also serve as quarterback coach.

“Having John join our staff as offensive coordinator/quarterback coach will enhance our staff tremendously, as he has a wealth of knowledge in different schemes and has learned and coached under some of the best minds in the game. He has an outstanding offensive mind and understands how to attack people and take advantage of personnel match-ups,” UConn head coach Randy Edsall said in the release.

Dunn spent the last two years with the Chicago Bears, where he served as offensive quality control coach during the 2016 season before moving into an offensive assistant role for the 2017 season. With the Bears, Dunn was responsible for the protection plan and ran the offensive line protection meetings during the week in addition to assisting the offensive coordinator in all his duties with the team.

“John is as good an offensive mind as I’ve been around,” former Bears coach John Fox said. “He has a great feel for the run game as well as pass game.  He has the ability to relate to and motivate players and is an outstanding coach with a bright future.”  

Dunn previously worked under Edsall at Maryland as the tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator. He also assisted in red zone gameplanning and helped with general offensive duties in College Park, while helping to bring in two top-35 recruiting classes.

“His philosophy of being a multiple, no huddle offense that attacks using multiple tempos, personnel groupings and formations defines our vision offensively,” Edsall said.

“I’m so grateful to coach Edsall for the chance to join this team,” Dunn said. “I’m thrilled for this opportunity and my family and I look forward to being a part of UConn football.”

Dunn will take over the offensive coordinator job vacated with the departure of Lashlee, who left for the same position with SMU after just one season in Storrs. The UConn offense improved drastically last season under his leadership, going from 120th to 82nd in yards per play with a career-best season from quarterback Bryant Shirreffs.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.