Men's Basketball: Huskies win third straight behind Adams' 25 points

Tulane guard Jordan Cornish (0) drives past Connecticut forward David Onuorah (34) during an NCAA college basketball game, Saturday, Jan, 13, 2018, in New Orleans. (Brett Duke/NOLA.com The Times-Picayune via AP)

The UConn men’s basketball team extended their winning streak to three games with an impressive 67-57 road win over American rival Tulane Saturday at the Devlin Fieldhouse.

Jalen Adams played one of his best games of the season to power the Huskies (10-7, 3-2 The American), posting 25 points, five rebounds and six assists. Adams scored 20 of his points in the second half to keep Tulane (11-6, 2-3 The American) out of reach down the stretch.

Christian Vital chipped in 13 points, while freshman forward Josh Carlton added 10 points and six rebounds. Melvin Frazier had 16 points on 8-for-14 shooting for the Green Wave, who have been one of the conference’s best surprises after finishing 6-25 last season

UConn leapt out of the gates, moving the ball and playing tight zone defense to build an 11-2 lead in the opening minutes. Isaiah Whaley scored four early points, including a baseline jumper.

The Green Wave settled into the game shortly afterward as leading scorer Cameron Reynolds got into his groove. Reynolds helped bring Tulane back with eight points, and Frazier put Tulane ahead 20-19 with a dunk with 4:53 remaining into the half.

Varied scoring from Adams, Larrier and Vital provided a solid response and sent UConn into the halftime break with a 30-22, as they held Tulane scoreless for the half’s final 4:12.

The Green Wave shot just 30 percent from the field in the first half, which improved to 58 percent in the second half, but UConn consistently had answers.

A lay-up from Frazier trimmed the Huskies’ lead to one point with 16:26 remaining in the game, but that’s when Adams took off. He responded immediately with a jumper and continued to roll throughout the half, controlling the tempo and attacking the rim when the opportunity presented itself.

With his guiding hand, UConn gradually built up a larger lead. Back-to-back 3-pointers from Adams and Larrier midway through the half gave the Huskies a 12-point edge amidst another lengthy scoring drought from Tulane.

UConn led by as many as 13 points, and after Tulane trimmed the lead to eight points in the final two minutes, Adams hit the dagger to put them away.

David Onuorah helped UConn with a surprisingly strong game off the bench, grabbing seven boards (four offensive) in 14 minutes while providing a decent defensive presence.

The Huskies will stay on the road and look to win their fourth straight Tuesday when they travel to take on Memphis.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.