Men's Hockey: Huskies fall flat against Merrimack

UConn Huskies blow out UMass Minutemen 8-2, a score unseen since 2013. They look to score more in the next home game against Colgate on Friday, December 8. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

UConn’s offense has gone ice cold in the dead of winter. In the midst of a four game stretch with only two goals scored, the Huskies reached a low point during Friday’s game against Merrimack. UConn’s 16 shots on goal were a season-low as the Warriors blew out the Huskies, 3-0.

Merrimack came out in the first period and did just about everything to take control of the game besides putting a puck in the net. The Warriors were faster to the puck, more deliberate on offense and retreated to the locker room after 20 minutes sporting a 15-1 edge on the shot chart. 

With nowhere to go but up, the Huskies did manage to collect some more offensive chances in the second period. However, goaltender Adam Huska was under fire early and often as the Warriors pelted UConn’s net for another 15 shots on goal in the period.

Huska did all he could to save the Huskies. The sophomore goalie saved 35 of the 38 shots that came in his way, including several 2-1 rushes Huska had to reach deep into his bag of tricks to stop. However, a bucket can only help bail out a sinking ship for so long.

Merrimack was destined to break through eventually and did so shortly into the third period. After UConn forward Brian Rigali was sent to the box for tripping, Merrimack’s Ludvig Larsson collected the puck and navigated it through traffic in front for the power-play goal.

Moments later, Laine McKay intercepted a UConn turnover in their own zone and fed a crashing Tyler Drevitch for the sophomore’s first career goal.

Cole McBride registered an empty net goal in the closing moments to put a cap on the 3-0 win and the season-sweep of the Huskies.

UConn has been shutout five times this season, the most since the 2009-10 season and the most since joining Hockey East. Friday’s loss dropped the Huskies to 8-15-2 overall and 5-10-1 in Hockey East.

The Huskies will look to right the ship Thursday when they host No. 11 ranked Providence in another Hockey East matchup at the XL Center.

Bryan Lambert is a staff writer for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at bryan.lambert@uconn.edu.