Men's track and field compete in Great Dane Classic

Next on the schedule for the Huskies will be the Columbia Challenge on Jan. 26-27, as they will look to have another strong performance. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

UConn men’s track and field competed in the Great Dane Classic this past Saturday in Staten Island, New York. This was the first meet for the Huskies following the winter break, and after returning to practice on Jan. 3, the team only had ten days to prepare.

“Across the board we had good competition,” UConn head coach Greg Roy said.

Multiple freshman had strong performances, including Brian Cammillieri, who placed third in the 1000m with a time of 2:28.99. Tyler Gleen placed fourth in the 500m with a time of 1:04.75 and Terrell Cunningham placed fifth in the 800m at 1:54.73.

The Huskies also shined in the distance events. In the 3000m, Michael O’Donnell placed second and Patrick Begley placed fourth with times of 8:12.97 and 8:14.41, respectively. Will Brisman finished second in the 5000m, with a time of 14:56.03 and Ian Mickool (14.57.36) finished third.

Unfortunately, star pole vaulter Craig Hunter is currently out with a broken wrist, an injury that is expected to keep him sidelined for about three weeks. Fellow pole vaulter Ian Bergere had to pick up the slack, and he did just that finishing second with a height of 16 feet.

The throwers also had a good outing with two freshmen placing in the top four of the shot put. Todd Stueber finished second with a throw of 16.08m and Matthew Brady finished fourth with a throw of 15.74m. In the weight throw, junior Sebastian Castano had another great outing, placing third with a personal best of 17.09m.

Next on the schedule for the Huskies will be the Columbia Challenge on Jan. 26-27, as they will look to have another strong performance.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.