UConn describes inclement weather policies in email

Students are encouraged to have suitable cold weather gear such as lined coats, mittens or gloves, hats, extra blankets and waterproof boots, the email said. It is also suggested that students keep water and non-perishable food on hand for situations in which they cannot conveniently leave their residence. (Screenshot)

In a Jan. 11 email sent to undergraduate students at the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus, several UConn administrators provided tips on how to prepare for cold weather and outlined how the university handles inclement weather.

The administrators also welcomed students to the 2018 spring semester in the message.

Students received the email from Eleanor J. B. Daugherty, associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, and P. Michael Jednak, associate vice president for Facilities Operations and Building Services.

Students are encouraged to have suitable cold weather gear such as lined coats, mittens or gloves, hats, extra blankets and waterproof boots, the email said. It is also suggested that students keep water and non-perishable food on hand for situations in which they cannot conveniently leave their residence.

Students with a car can get their vehicles ready for cold weather by monitoring tire pressure and ensuring that the fuel tank is, at a minimum, half-full, according to the email. Students can keep jumper cables and an ice scraper in their car as well.

“For those (students) who rely on the WRTD (Windham Region Transit District) bus to get to and from campus, please stay aware of any transportation changes they might have by visiting their website at http://www.wrtd.net/,” the email said.

If students cannot attend class, they are encouraged to be conscious of campus policies regarding attendance expectations and how the UConn community is notified of campus closures, according to the email.

Students’ security is the university’s chief priority in instances of inclement weather, the email said.

“(Students’) safety is our top concern and we encourage (students) to monitor emergency notifications for all campus locations on the UConnAlert site at alert.uconn.edu and familiarize (themselves) with the Emergency Hazard Guide to learn what the UConn community can to do before, during and after different types of emergencies,” the email said.  

When inclement weather conditions arise, Facilities Operations and Building Services’ (FOBS) immediate priority is to clear snow to allow access for emergency vehicles, and to enable students to reach important locations such as Student Health Services and the Dining Halls, according to the email. FOBS also focuses on emergency building repairs.

After FOBS manages these first concerns, they will next clear roads to allow access for transportation (such as UConn buses) and waste management, the email said. FOBS will enable individuals to reach academic buildings and parking lots at this stage as well.

Some campus amenities may be postponed while the university ensures that it provides for emergency services on campus, according to the email.

“During those times, it is important to stay safe, limit…activity outside and follow the direction of university staff,” the email said.

Any unsafe conditions on campus can be reported to FOBS with the MyUConn app or by calling 860-486-3113, according to the email.

“UConn is prepared to offer minimal disruption to classes,” the email said, “and the functioning of the university.”

Alexandra Retter is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.