Women’s Hockey: UConn splits weekend at UNH

Women's Hockey went into overtime against Providence college but ultimately ended in a 2-2 tie. (Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team notched its first conference win of the season this past weekend at UNH on Saturday before losing to the same team the following day.

So far this season, UConn is 7-10-7 overall and 1-9-4 in conference play.

In Saturday’s 3-1 win against UNH (10-10-5, 7-7-3 WHEA), three different Huskies scored, including senior forward Theresa Knutson. The goal was Knutson’s 45th career goal, putting her at fourth place on the all-time program goal list.

UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie praised Knutson’s career at UConn.

“Theresa has had a great career,” MacKenzie said. “She and her fellow seniors have contributed a great deal to our program. She wasn’t heavily recruited out of Wisconsin but has made the most of her opportunity at UConn.”

The other two UConn goals of the game came from senior forward Justine Fredette and freshman forward Natalie Snodgrass. Snodgrass now has a team-best 13 goals on the season.

UConn had a 29-24 shot advantage over UNH. Goaltender Annie Belanger had 23 saves, making her 5-7-4 on the season.

Sunday’s game was a reversal for the Huskies as they lost to UNH 3-1. In the second period UNH scored three goals. The only UConn goal was scored by Knutson who is now one goal short of Michelle Binning for third on UConn’s all-time goal list.

The loss was UConn’s ninth dropped game in league play.

MacKenzie pointed out the closeness of both games.

“We competed very hard and looked solid on special teams,” MacKenzie said. “Both games were very close and although we managed to outshoot UNH both nights, we ended up splitting the series.”

This upcoming weekend UConn will play Northeastern and Boston University.

“Execution is the key at this point in the season,” MacKenzie said. “If we perform at a high level we are capable of having success against anyone we play”.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.