Hartford mayor Luke Bronin announces run for governor

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin listens to Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy budget address at the State Capitol, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016, in Hartford, Conn. (Jessica Hill/Associated Press)

Hartford mayor Luke Bronin has filed papers to explore a run for governor, he said in a press release on Dec 7. Bronin stated he believes Connecticut needs to “break old habits, change what isn’t working and try new things.”

“To get Connecticut working again, we need a shared vision for restoring economic growth and opportunity,” Bronin said. “We need to recognize that vibrant, culturally-rich cities can be the economic engine that help us keep our suburbs and small towns strong- and keep our young people here at home.”

Bronin said in charting a path for Connecticut’s future, the state must also defend progressive values that are “under attack across our country and especially by Donald Trump.”

“In Hartford and in Connecticut, we’ve stood up to protect women’s access to healthcare, advocated for compassionate immigration policies, stood strongly and proudly in support of our LGBTQ+ community, worked to build a second chance society and made environmental sustainability a priority,” Bronin said. “Now more than ever, we need to continue to hold that ground forcefully and uncompromisingly.”

Bronin said his experiences as mayor of Hartford qualify him to run for governor.

“After tackling Hartford’s historic fiscal crisis over the past two years, I know what it means to face hard problems head-on and honestly, and not shy away from tough choices,” Bronin said. “So that’s what I think Connecticut needs: leadership that’s ready to face Connecticut’s fiscal crisis honestly and boldly, ready to put forward a strong vision for economic growth and opportunity and ready to stand strong in defense of the values that truly make our state great.”

Before being elected Hartford’s mayor, Bronin served as General Counsel to Gov. Malloy, and as both Senior Advisor to the Deputy Secretary of the Treasury and Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorist Financing and Financial Crimes under former President Obama.

Bronin is one of several people to announce their plans to run or consider running for governor. Declared Democratic candidates include Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim and former state Commissioner for Veterans’ Affairs Sean Connolly. Declared Republican candidates include Danbury mayor Mark D. Boughton and former Trumbull First Selectman Tim Herbst.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.