Lana Del Rey puts on positive and artistic TD Garden show

Lana del Rey put on a show full of her signature cool vibes and an exciting mix of new songs and old classics at TD Garden in Boston on Saturday, Jan. 13.

Del Rey opened the concert with “13 Beaches,” a song off her newest album “Lust for Life.” She then segued into the well-known song “Pretty When You Cry” from her third studio album “Ultraviolence.”

Other notable tracks Del Rey performed were the titular track off of “Ultraviolence,” along with “White Mustang,” “Love” and “Lust for Life,” all from her most recent album. Del Rey also sang “Yayo,” one of her oldest songs from a previously unreleased album.

Throughout the concert, Del Rey performed a plethora of her most popular songs, most from her second studio album “Born to Die.” These classics included  the titular track “Born to Die” along with “Blue Jeans,” “National Anthem,” “Ride,” “Video Games” and “Summertime Sadness.”

Del Rey’s positive energy and gratitude were palpable throughout her entire set. While it can sometimes be difficult to connect with an audience in a venue as big as TD Garden, Del Rey was able to do just that. Throughout her performance, Del Rey would engage with the audience, saying things like, “Do you know how special you all are to me?” and, “I love you all very much” countless times.

Del Rey’s vocal abilities and live sound quality were both surprisingly strong. Although Del Rey has had trouble performing live in the past, often finding it difficult to hit the extreme high and low notes on her songs, she sang with ease and accuracy at TD Garden. The instrumentals did not overpower her vocals, which has been a problem for Del Rey in the past.

Del Rey’s use of visuals and a physical set on stage drew the audience deeper into her world. The visuals included montages from different music videos that would play in accordance with the appropriate song, as well as other pieces of found footage that fit Del Rey’s aesthetic of 1960s America. While singing “Change,” a track off her newest album about the power of love and revolution, clips from protests against the Vietnam War flashed on the screen.

The stage set itself consisted of palm trees, chaise lounges and swings, all of which Del Rey used. During “Music to Watch Boys To,” the image of pool waves was projected on the floor of the stage, turning the set into a glamorous Hollywood pool. While singing “Ride,” the floor once again morphed, this time projecting the image of a moving road.

Del Rey closed the concert with “Off To The Races,” an extremely popular song from “Born to Die.” At the end of the performance, Del Rey went into the crowd on the floor, giving hugs, signing autographs and taking pictures with fans while the instruments continued to play in the background. Del Rey’s true caring and love for her fans was clearly felt in this instance.

Jhené Aiko opened for Del Rey. Aiko put on a great performance, singing a wide range of songs from both past and more recent albums. Her energy was palpable as she skipped and twirled across the stage. Like Del Rey, Aiko was very open with the audience, thanking them for allowing her to sing to them since “performing is like therapy to me.”

At the end of her set, Aiko sweetly said, “Get ready for Lana.” The kinship between the two female artists was reciprocated when Del Rey shouted out Aiko at the very end of the show.

Overall, Del Rey’s Boston leg of her “LA To The Moon” stadium tour did not disappoint in the slightest. The show acknowledged Del Rey’s growth as a singer, songwriter and performer, and cemented her as a force to be reckoned with in both the underground and popular music scene.

Lucie Turkel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucie.turkel@uconn.edu.