Late Night brings live music, trivia and more with “Late Night Live”

Students on the Late Night committee at the University of Connecticut want to “shake things up” for late night karaoke and will soon do so with live music and other events as part of the new pilot program “Late Night Live,” according to LaKeya Francis, coordinator of Late Night programs and initiatives. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Students on the Late Night committee at the University of Connecticut want to “shake things up” for late night karaoke and will soon do so with live music and other events as part of the new pilot program “Late Night Live,” according to LaKeya Francis, coordinator of Late Night programs and initiatives.

A live band will be added this semester to add some variation between karaoke performers, Francis said. Game shows, such as Family Feud, will also be added and begin this Friday.

The Family Feud game show will happen twice this Friday, Francis said, with an intermission in the middle that will feature karaoke.

Late Night will also include open-mic events in the future, Francis said.

“We’ll give students the opportunity to showcase their own talents,” Francis said.

Students on the Late Night committee were inspired to add changes to Late Night after attending a conference, Francis said.

“They want students to respond to (Late Night),” Francis said. “They want to give them something different and hopefully have…everybody come through Late Night and give (them) a different experience.”

Francis said her students are really excited about the new changes to the program.

Late Night is held on Friday and Saturday in the Student Union from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. and aims to give the UConn community a new experience at the Student Union with themed events, according to its website. Karaoke is a staple of Late Night on Friday nights in the Student Union Marketplace.

To view the Spring 2018 event calendar and to find out more information on all things Late Night, those interested can visit latenight.uconn.edu, Francis said. In addition, students can follow Late Night on social media platforms.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.