Men’s Basketball: Without Larrier, Huskies deliver stinker in Memphis

Memphis guard Kareem Brewton Jr., right, is fouled by a UConn player while driving the lane during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in Memphis, Tenn., Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018. (Mark Weber/AP)

The UConn men’s basketball team’s three-game winning streak came to a screeching halt Tuesday evening at the FedEx Forum.

Without the services of forward Terry Larrier, who sat out due to headaches, the Huskies (10-8, 3-3 The American) were crushed 73-49 by AAC rival Memphis in their worst offensive effort of the season.

Somehow, Josh Carlton led UConn with 15 points in 28 minutes, while also grabbing nine boards for a near double-double. Christian Vital scored 14 points and Jalen Adams scored 11.

Memphis (12-7, 3-3 The American) got dominant efforts from Mike Parks Jr. and Jeremiah Martin, who each posted 21 points and 11 rebounds, to roll at home.

The Huskies shot just 37 percent from the field and 24 percent from 3-point range. They made just 17 field goals (eight assists) while turning the ball over 17 times. The Tigers finished with an 38-24 edge in rebounding.

The stat gore extends to individual efforts. Antwoine Anderson failed to make a field goal in 39 minutes of action, with all three of his points coming from the free throw. Anderson also had three rebounds, three assists and two turnovers.

Vital had a nightmarish shooting night (3-for-12 from 3-point range) and committed a technical foul. Adams wasn’t much better from the field (5-for-13) while turning the ball over four times compared to two assists. He was vastly outplayed by Martin.

Isaiah Whaley had a decent all-around effort, posting four points, two rebounds, two assists, four blocks and three steals in 30 minutes.

Tyler Polley played 19 minutes and turned the ball over three times. David Onourah didn’t register a stat in seven minutes of action. Mamadou Diarra had a single rebound in three minutes.

The Huskies never led, and they first trailed by double digits with 8:18 remaining in the first half. They trailed by 14 at the half.

UConn pulled with 18 points on an Anderson free throw before Memphis went on an extended run that put them up by as many as 31 points. The Huskies closed the game with 10 of the last 13 points.

Bouncing back will be incredibly difficult. UConn’s next time out is a date with No. 1 Villanova at the XL Center Saturday.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.