Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton seeks governor’s office in 2018

Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton appearing at a campaign rally earlier in the week. (Courtesy of Boughton 2018)

Nine-term Republican Mayor of Danbury, Mark Boughton, has recently launched his campaign to run for Governor of Connecticut for the 2018 election year, according to his campaign website. 

Boughton, 53, has twice sought this office before, losing the Republican primary to Tom Foley in both 2010 and 2014, according to state election data.

Although he’s been labeled as a hyper-partisan, Boughton said that he would be open to working with other political leaders throughout New England and the nation on a bipartisan basis.

One proposed Connecticut infrastructure project is New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s plan to bore a tunnel from Long Island underneath the Long Island Sound to the shores of Connecticut in order to reroute traffic out of New York City, a project Boughton said was completely unreasonable and impossible to execute responsibly.

“As governor I would be very open to work with politicians throughout the region, whatever the issue may be,” Boughton said. “But in reference to Governor Cuomo’s Long Island Sound Tunnel proposal, I don’t see it being a viable solution. There are many other more reasonable solutions to ease the congestion on [Routes] I-95 and I-84.”

In terms of his economic stances on the campaign, Boughton seeks to eliminate the state income tax incrementally.

“The plan I’ve proposed is a comprehensive look at the state’s economy,” Boughton said. “It’s not only eliminating the state tax, but also involves a hard look at irresponsible state spending and creating an environment that is pro-growth.

Referencing his background as a public school teacher, Boughton said that much of this “irresponsible spending” could be found in the administration of the state’s Department of Education.

“In the state university system you find administrators working for administrators costing the state millions of dollars a year,” Boughton said. “In terms of the University of Connecticut, you have administrators such as the president who are making upwards of $700,000, have two university houses, a driver, and so on. This type of spending needs to be throttled back.”

Boughton said that his stances, in opposition to the current governor’s, have made him the most electable Republican candidate for governor, garnering the necessary $250,000 in small donations needed to qualify for state election funding.

Chairman of the State Democrats, Nick Balletto seemed to disagree in a statement critical of Boughton’s eligibility for governor.

“Mark Boughton is nothing more than a cutout of Donald Trump’s Republican Party,” Balletto said. “Boughton’s record shows he’d bring Trump’s divisive agenda to Connecticut.”

Boughton, who said he wrote in his dog’s name during the 2016 election, said the characterization of him as a wing of Trump’s base is completely untrue.

“I disagree with Trump when he is wrong,” Boughton said. “And while Trump’s agenda may not be popular with all of America, one thing is true – that Dan Malloy is the most disliked governor in the nation, and that’s really saying something.”

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.