Mansfield Board of Education makes progress on facilities updates

The proposed facilities timeline provided by Lyman shows that this Spring will be used to develop a plan. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The Mansfield Board of Education continued to plan for Mansfield schools’ facilities updates in the future at their meeting Thursday night.

The board also appointed Edith Allison to fill the vacancy left by Sarah Lacombe’s resignation. Before her appointment, Allison addressed the board with her experience and qualifications.

“I have been a Connecticut resident since 1985 and a Mansfield resident since 1998. I retired recently after a 30 year career at (The University of Connecticut) in the information technologies where I was a computer system programmer,” Allison said. “I work with Kathy on another committee and she was in need of another person to sit on this board and she tapped me for that and I agreed so here I am.”

Allison was elected without opposition.

The remainder of the meeting focused primarily on facilities planning in the future outlined by District 19 Superintendent Kelly Lyman.

Lyman focused on three subject areas that she said will be used as the foundation for facilities decisions moving forward.

“(These areas) are thinking about the great configuration of our schools considering the number and related to that is the size of our schools and then thinking about whether we would need to renovate or build new,” Lyman said.

Lyman said the first step in this process is to set aside dates for the community to come together to hear the board’s responses to questions on these three areas of information. The dates set aside are Feb. 28 and March 7.

Lyman said the presentation’s organization of the information for those dates is to be determined. To find the most logical solution she has been working with Isabelle Stevenson who has facilitated the last two board workshops with regards to facilities programs.

“We have a lot of thoughts that we will continue to work on and plans that are quite detailed that we will make sure are in place before Feb. 28 so that we have an effective program and an evening that results in you having heard from the community and also educating the community on where we are,” Lyman said.

Lyman said the district has engaged in talks with the organization First Experience Communications out of Glastonbury to find the best way to get the information to Mansfield residents. These ways include a newsletter combined with a short survey for residents to fill out.

“This organization will assist in putting together a newsletter that will be emailed to all Mansfield residents,” Lyman said. “It will focus on educating the community about the facilities work that’s already gone on, announcing the opportunities that are coming and showcasing some of the instructional work that’s going on in our schools.”

The proposed facilities timeline provided by Lyman shows that this Spring will be used to develop a plan. The remainder of the year will be used working with an architect to figure out how to execute the plan.

An architect has not yet been chosen to work with the town on facilities projects.

John Lavenburg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at john.lavenburg@uconn.edu.