UConn A Cappella Spring Rush Concert shows off amazing student talent

Auditions begin on Sunday, Jan. 28 in the Music Building at 6 p.m. and continue until Monday. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The semi-annual A Cappella Spring Rush Concert was held in Jorgensen at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday to showcase each group’s talent and to promote auditioning. The event was hosted by DJ Porter, president of the UConn A Cappella Association (UCACA). UCACA is the overarching organization for the 10 a cappella groups that are currently on campus: A Minor, Chordials, Rubyfruit, Conn Men, CDN, Husky Hungama, Drop the Bass, Extreme Measures, Rolling Tones and Notes Over Storrs. UConn’s newest group, Husky Hungama, performed for the first time.

“We have an awesome show for you guys,” Porter explained in his opening speech. “We’ve been working really hard.” Almost every group is looking for all voice parts, and students are encouraged to audition for as many groups as they can.

Not only did the concert showcase student talent, but proceeds from the show went to a good cause. UCACA has a partnership with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals and all proceeds will be donated to HuskyThon.

Each group displayed an array of incredible vocal talent that captivated the audience. “I absolutely loved it, I didn’t expect that,” Audrey Pion, a second-semester molecular and cell biology major, said. “I was blown away by all of the harmonies. It’s definitely something I would love to be a part of some day.”

The first group to perform was the UConn Chordials, an all-female group consisting of eight very talented ladies. They sang “Disturbia” by Rihanna and “Take Me To Church” by Hozier. They are currently looking for all voice parts. You can follow them @UConnChordials.

Next up was UConn’s newest all-female group, Drop the Bass. They sang “Follow Me” by Uncle Kracker and “Miss You” by Gabrielle Aplin. They are looking for all voice parts. You can follow them @UCDropthebass.

Performing next was Notes Over Storrs, one of the co-ed groups. They sang “Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane and a mashup of “Mr. Brightside” and “Somebody Told Me” by The Killers. They are looking for all voice parts, and you can follow them @NotesOverStorrs.

Rubyfruit, an all-female group, performed next. They sang “Say You Love Me” by Jessie Ware, and “Staying Alive” by the Bee Gees. They are looking for all voice parts. You can follow them @UConnRubies.

Following Rubyfruit was UConn’s oldest all-male a cappella group, A Completely Different Note, or CDN for short. They performed “Lights” by Journey and “That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars. They are also looking for all voice parts. You can follow them @CdnUConn.

Up next was UConn’s newest a cappella group, Husky Hungama, in their first Rush Concert performance. They are a coed Bollywood Fusion group that formed last semester. They performed a bollywood mashup of “Some Nights” by Fun and “Chandelier” by Sia. They are looking for all voice parts. You can follow them @huskyhungama.

Next was The Rolling Tones, one of the four co-ed groups. They sang “715 - CR∑∑KS” by Bon Iver and “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers. They are looking specifically for male voice parts. You can follow them @UConnRollingTones.

Performing next was A-minor, UConn’s oldest co-ed group.They sang “Chains” by Nick Jonas and “These Are The Lies” by The Cab. They are looking for all voice parts, but specifically male and beat-boxing, and can be followed @UConnAMinor.

Extreme Measures, or “Ex-M,” sang next. They are a co-ed group. They sang “Set You Free” and “Gaims” by Kamau. They are looking for all voice parts. You can follow them @exm.uconn.

Lastly, Conn-Men, UConn’s second oldest all-male a cappella group performed. They sang “No Such Thing” by John Mayer and “Lay Me Down” by Sam Smith. They are looking to fill all voice parts and can be followed @UConnConnmen.

Auditions begin on Sunday, Jan. 28 in the Music Building at 6 p.m. and continue until Monday.

“Words can’t explain the gratitude and fulfillment I have,” Porter said after the show. “We love to grow and improve.”

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.