USG senate continues work of governing documents in Spring semester

USG Senate also has increased its social media presence and polled students on how they can
improve the voting process, Tumu said.  (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The Undergraduate Student Government Senate is focusing on passing an edited constitution
and increasing student participation this semester, both by having students join senate and
acting upon students’ concerns, according to speaker of the senate Nandan Tumu.

“(USG Senate’s) goals this semester are to ensure that we have a comprehensive and coherent
set of governing documents, to ensure that we respond to student issues and concerns in an
adequate manner and to pursue higher levels of engagement between USG and the Student
Body and University Administration,” Tumu said.

The revision of the constitution that began last semester will continue this Spring, according to
Tumu, and will be a priority until the Feb. 21 deadline.

The two groups assembled to work on the documents have made steady progress, Tumu said,
but have yet to make plans to meet to combine their documents.

“Both groups are working hard to incorporate changes, and I look forward to seeing governing
documents on our agenda in the Senate,” Tumu said. “I think it would be great if the two groups were able to come together and reconcile differences between the documents prior to Senate approval, but I have not been made aware of any plans to do so at this time.”

improve the voting process, Tumu said. They hope to use this information to increase the
number of students running for a senate seat and the number of students voting.

“To anyone reading, I strongly recommend running for a seat in the USG Senate,” Tumu said.

Molly Desrochers is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.desrochers@uconn.edu.