Vacation Destination: The land of hockey and Tim Hortons

If this Connecticut winter is making you go stir crazy, a five-hour drive can relinquish you from the norm and practically transport you to a new world. (Photos courtesy of writer)

If this Connecticut winter is making you go stir crazy, a five-hour drive can relinquish you from the norm and practically transport you to a new world. Plan your next weekend getaway to Montreal, Quebec, where winter weather is not a nuisance, but a way of life.

LeQube Apartments

For this trip, you’re going to want to skip the Holiday Inn and stay somewhere cleaner, less expensive and overall swankier. LeQube Apartments, smack dab in the middle of Montreal, have all the essential comforts of a hotel without the need to awkwardly interact with the staff and endure painfully bland décor. This complex, equipped with a charming interior, offers a rooftop hot tub overlooking the city and the peak Mount Royal. The apartments provide various amenities including kitchens and dining areas. Best of all, rooms can be found for only about $100 a night!

The Biodome

Located in Olympic Park, this facility built for the 1976 Olympic games houses replicas of four of America’s ecosystems. The exhibits include subantarctic islands, the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, the forests of Quebec and tropical rainforests. Keep your camera handy because these breathtaking displays are home to a plethora of awe-worthy animals ranging from beavers, to penguins to, my personal favorite, monkeys cuddling in a tree.

bota.JPG

Bota Bota Spa-on-the-Water

For those who prefer vacations that require minimal physical activity, look no further than the Old Port Montreal. The Bota Bota is an all accommodating spa that sits atop the frozen Saint Lawrence River. The spa offers various services such as facials, massages, manicures and pedicures. Best of all, Bota Bota is decked out with oodles of outdoor hot tubs overlooking the striking city skyline.

Modavie

The answer is yes, if you’re 18 and up, you can finally have your first sip of alcohol. Make sure to do this momentous event right, over the low hum of jazz music. Do not mistake Montreal’s prominent jazz scene with the distasteful elevator music you have endured in the past. If you’re looking to make it a night of firsts, stop by the Modavie in Old Montreal. Their rustic meets modern aesthetic, along with an extensive list of cocktails will make for one jazzy night you may or may not remember.

Lillian Whittaker is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lillian.whittaker@uconn.edu.