Why Young Thug should headline spring concert

The announcement of spring concert performers is a central topic of conversation by students on campus. SUBOG’s seek for more student input to decide on artists is making students think twice about who they want to see on stage. With the overwhelming popularity of hip-hop on campus and nationwide, it only makes sense for SUBOG to bring a rapper to headline the event. Young Thug’s long career of success in rap and features in a plethora of songs make him the perfect headliner for spring concert this year.

Spring concert is SUBOG’s opportunity to provide a unique experience to UConn students. Bringing an artist that tours often would contradict this goal, since students are more likely to attend tour events. Young Thug, however, rarely holds live performances despite the popularity of his new mixtapes. His last tour with 21 Savage started over a year ago and only held one show in Connecticut.

Since the end of this tour, Thug dropped two albums and featured in numerous Hot 100 songs. “Beautiful Thugger Girls” received favorable reviews and one of its songs- “Relationship” ft. Future- was on Billboard’s Hot 100 and on iTunes Top Charts.

While Young Thug’s music is considered a somewhat acquired taste, he is featured by artists in many different genres of music. His features in songs by Camila Cabello, Chance the Rapper, Drake and other artists have made Thug popular with many different music fan bases and therefore, a perfect headliner for spring concert.

Rather than bringing an upcoming artist or one with few popular songs, SUBOG would maximize attendance to spring concert by bringing an already popular artists that UConn students would be excited to see. Young Thug’s long-lasting popularity is a result of many top-selling albums and hit singles since he was signed in 2013. In 2014, Thug dropped his first best-selling single “Old English” with A$AP Ferg and Freddie Gibbs, which paved the way for the popularity of “Barter 6,” his first Hot 100 mixtape in 2015. “Jeffery,” “Slime Season 3,” and “I’m Up” all dropped in 2016 and yielded popular songs such as “Wyclef Jean,” “With Them,” “Digits” and others.

With so many albums and hit songs, Young Thug’s setlists are very engaging and extensive for his crowds. His features in different styles of music will attract a large crowd to his potential performance at spring concert.

Keren Blaunstein is a weekly columnist for The Daily Campus.  She can be reached via email at keren.blaunstein@uconn.edu.