Women’s Hockey: Huskies look to gain ground in against Northeastern, BU

Natalie Snodgrass (9) evades a defender during the Huskies 2-2 tie with the Providence Friars on Dec. 1, 2017. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

Freshman sensation Natalie Snodgrass and the UConn Huskies women’s hockey team (7-10-7, 1-9-4 Hockey East) will take on Northeastern (12-10-3, 8-7-2 Hockey East) and Boston University (8-13-5, 4-10-4 Hockey East) this weekend in what could be a pivotal couple of games for the Huskies against two conference foes.

To start off the weekend, it will be the battle of the Huskies as the UConn Huskies face the Northeastern Huskies Friday at 7 p.m. at Northeastern. UConn has gone 3-3 since their winter break ended and even captured their elusive first conference victory against New Hampshire.

Snodgrass leads the team with points, tallying 10 assists to go with her 13 goals. Sophmore Briana Colangelo is second in goals scored with seven. Defensively, the Huskies are ferocious and are second in their conference, allowing only 2.17 goals per game. Senior goalie Annie Belanger anchors the team, saving 470 shots in 17 games.

Northeastern’s McKenna Brand is fresh off being awarded the WHEA Player of the Week, after scoring a goal and five assists over a three-game span. She also became the 28th player in program history to surpass 100 career points. This season, Brand has 26 points, good for eighth in the conference.

In their only matchup so far this season, UConn fell to Northeastern by a score of 4-2. Freshmen Morgan Wabick and Snodgrass scored the only goals, while Belanger saved 34 shots.

UConn will head home for Sunday’s 2 p.m. matchup against Boston University. The Huskies lost to BU in their first game 6-2, but bounced back to tie them at two goals each in their latest battle.

The Terriers struggle on defense as they are ranked eighth in the conference for scoring defense, allowing 2.92 goals per game. However, their offense is explosive and should be aggressive again Sunday. Victoria Bach is a nightmare matchup for opposing defenses, racking up 47 points on 28 goals and 19 assists.

With 10 games left in the regular season, UConn finds themselves last in the WHEA. Each game is of the utmost importance for them, especially battles against conference rivals.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.