Woodhaven Apartments fire displaces dozens, injures two

The residents in the affected units were evacuated, though most residents were able to find a place to stay, Moore said. (Courtesy/apartmentfinder.com)

A fire at Woodhaven Apartments in Willington, Connecticut left two residents injured and displaced 64 residents, according to Willington Fire Department Fire Chief Alex Moore.

Two residents were taken to the hospital due to smoke inhalation. Their status is currently unknown, Moore said.

Three floors of apartments, totaling 34 units in total, were damaged by the fire, which occurred at 8 p.m. and was put out by 9:44 p.m., according to the Tolland County Dispatch Twitter.

`The second and third floors were damaged from the smoke, Moore said. Units from Mansfield, Coventry, Willington and North Windham responded, according to the tweet.

The residents in the affected units were evacuated, though most residents were able to find a place to stay, Moore said.

“Some are staying with friends, and there are some staying with The Red Cross,” Moore said.

Residents within the building were allowed in to retrieve their belongings, according to sixth semester nursing major Alyssa Miano, who is currently staying with friends at Norwegian Apartments.

“Some of our stuff smells like smoke, but none of it was damaged,” Miano said.

Miano said she expects to return to her apartment by Friday, based on what management has told her.

“I love living there, and I have nothing bad to say about it,” Miano said. “I hope everyone is safe.”

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.