Trump administration appointee, Greenwich native Carl Higbie resigns

Trump administration appointee and Greenwich native Carl Higbie resigned Thursday as the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) chief of external affairs after a review of racist, sexist, anti-Muslim and anti-LGBT comments he made on the radio, according to CNCS spokesperson Samantha Jo Warfield.

“Effective immediately, Carl Higbie has resigned as Chief of External Affairs at CNCS,” Warfield said in a statement.

The comments made included Higbie saying one could “guess the color” of a family living in his condo association, saying he was bothered that black Americans call themselves African-Americans when they had never been to Africa, saying members of the military who suffer from PTSD have “a weak mind” and saying he doesn’t like Muslims’ religious ideology, according to CNN.

“I just don’t like Muslim people,” Higbie said in the recordings. “People always rip me a new one for that. Carl, you’re racist, you can’t, you’re sexist. I’m like Jesus Christ. I just don’t like Muslim people because their ideology sucks.”

Higbie also called California Sen. Dianne Feinstein a “bitch” whose head he would like to smash into House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s and said he did not like gay people.

“Rhode Island, land of more liberals, has just OK’ed gay marriage,” Higbie said. “Why would you do that? Go ahead and twist the knife a little, little bit more. I mean, you are breaking the morals, the moral fiber of our country. You know, I don’t like gay people, I just don’t.”

In another 2013 recording, Higbie advocated for the shooting of undocumented immigrants who cross the border illegally, according to CNN.

“You cross my border, I will shoot you in the face,” Higbie said. “I will go down there. I’ll volunteer to go down there and stand on that border for, I don’t know, a week or so at a time and that’ll be my civil duty. I’ll volunteer to do it.”

Higbie apologized for his comments in a tweet Friday morning.

“I’m sorry. I’m not sorry that my words were published, I am sorry that I said them in 2013,” Higbie tweeted. “Those words do not reflect who I am or what I stand for, I regret saying them. Last night I informed the White House that I was resigning so as not to distract from POTUS’ many successes.”

Higbie was born in Greenwich and attended Greenwich High School. He ran in the 2014 Republican primary to challenge Rep. Jim Himes in Connecticut’s 4th congressional district but lost the nomination to former State Senator Dan Debicella.

Higbie enlisted in the United States Navy and became a SEAL in 2005. He was twice deployed to Iraq to serve in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Higbie is the author of Enemies, Foreign & Domestic: A SEAL’s Story and has appeared on Fox News and CNN.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.