New Hartford Police Union contract saves city millions

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin recently announced that the City of Hartford has entered into a new contract with the Hartford Police Union (HPU) that will save the city millions of dollars moving forward, according to a press release from the mayor’s office. (Singing With Light/Flickr Creative Commons)

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin recently announced that the City of Hartford has entered into a new contract with the Hartford Police Union (HPU) that will save the city millions of dollars moving forward, according to a press release from the mayor’s office.

The contract was ratified by the HPU on Dec. 8, 2017 and unanimously approved by the City Council on Dec. 12, 2017. According to the press release, the term of the contract is July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2022.

The contract will save Hartford $2 million in the current fiscal year, more than $3.6 million next year and approximately $4 million per year by Fiscal Year 2020, the press release said. These savings will total to more than $17 million over the contract’s life.

In the press release, Bronin thanked the Hartford Police Department and noted the benefits for all parties involved in the contract.

“I am grateful to the (Hartford Police Department) for ratifying a contract that not only provides millions of dollars of immediate savings but also makes significant long-term structural reforms to healthcare, pension contributions, and long-term pension benefits,” Bronin said.    

These benefits include a general wage increase for the first four fiscal years of the contract term, according to the press release. There will be an immediate payroll increase of 3 percent  followed by a 50 percent increase in healthcare contributions over the course of the contract.

Other structural changes regard sick leave accrual and payout for both current members and new hires, the press release said. Current members will have a lower cap on the maximum accrual and payout at the time of retirement, while new hires have a maximum sick leave accrual of 80 days and will not receive any payout accrued from sick leave.

Bronin said in the press release that getting to this point was a tough process, but the result is a huge step forward for Hartford.

“This agreement with the Hartford Police Union is the result of long, tough negotiations and represents another big step towards our goal of fiscal stability for out capital city,” Bronin said.

John Lavenburg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at john.lavenburg@uconn.edu.