Northwest Science Quad will expand university’s STEM core

The current Lot 9, X-Lot and L-Lot commuter and employee parking areas on the northwest edge of campus will soon be covered by the new Northwest Science Quad, which would include new science buildings and a utility plant.(file photo/The Daily Campus)

The current Lot 9, X-Lot and L-Lot commuter and employee parking areas on the northwest edge of campus will soon be covered by the new Northwest Science Quad, which would include new science buildings and a utility plant.

“In addition to the new Science 1 building, we anticipate building what we call the Supplemental Utility Plant,” University Spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. “(The plant would) provide power to the new facilities and parts of the western area of campus.”

According to the Northwest Science Quad Site Assessment and Development plan, the Northwest Science Quad is a much-needed expansion to the currently dense science campus core.

“The Northwest Science Quad is integral to the North Eagleville Science District and reflects the University’s commitment to STEM,” the plan said.

There have been small changes to the original plan, which included four science buildings, a parking garage and a small supplemental utility plan, but it generally stayed the same, the plan said.

The site for the project consists of almost 22 acres of land, according to the plan, and 40 percent of that land is currently occupied by mature woodlands.

“The master plan uniquely uses the landscape to provide the organizing structure for campus growth and modernization over the next 20 years,” the plan said.

The project is funded through the Next Generation Connecticut program, which was approved by the state legislature in 2013.

Reitz said a public hearing will be held later this spring for more specific information about the project and to answer any questions.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.