Pressing questions of the 24th annual SAG Award’s

Host Kristen Bell speaks on stage at the 24th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall on Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018, in Los Angeles.(Photo by Vince Bucci/Invision/AP)

The 24th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards aired last night on TNT and we have officially entered the dog days of awards season. The film world is currently focused on Sundance and the endless self-congratulating seems extra self-congratulatory for this point in the year. The necessary moments for the Time’s Up movement were delivered as expected but nothing reached the heights of the Natalie Portman call-out or Oprah speech at the Golden Globes. So on a night that could have been another boring awards celebration, a few interesting questions popped into my head that are worth noting.

Who is the new frontrunner for Best Picture?

On the night of the Screen Actors Guild Awards, we may need to look to the Producers Guild Awards as a clearer answer to this question. The main award of tonight’s ceremony, Best Cast, was taken home by “3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri,” which won the Golden Globe for best drama earlier this month. While these awards have the greater amount of notoriety, their predictive power is seriously lacking. These two awards are below 50 percent in their correlation to Best Picture at the Oscars (SAG: 48 percent, GG: 48 percent). However, the far better indicator for what will win, because of its voting population, is the Producers Guild Award for Best Theatrical Motion Picture. In its 29 year run, the award has predicted the top prize at the Oscars 20 times. This year’s winner, “The Shape of Water,” is currently my front runner. The negative press swirling around “3 Billboard’s” treatment, or lack thereof, to a racist central character is weighing it down in the court of public opinion, and “The Shape of Water” will be carried by a Best Director win for Guillermo del Toro and a whole slew of technical categories.

Is there an Emmy award more locked in than Nicole Kidman for Supporting Actress in a TV Show?

No

Morgan Freeman won the Lifetime Achievement Award. What is the best Morgan Freeman performance?

To break down the career of Morgan Freeman, one has to look at what the man does best; relatability and voice-overs. Relatability in that you really can’t dislike a Morgan Freeman character even when he is playing a grumpy retiring police detective (“Seven”), or a backstabbing head of an international team of assassins (“Wanted”). His narration work needs no introduction and it is no surprise that his voice is synonymous with God. Within these constraints, the role that combines the relatability and narration of Freeman the best must be Red from “The Shawshank Redemption.” Red must be the friendliest, most approachable inmate serving hard time in prison history. Tim Robbins is technically the main character of that film but Freeman carries the movie with iconic lines like “Get busy livin’ or get busy dyin’,” or “I hope the pacific is as blue as it is in my dreams.”

Strangest Moment of the Night?

This has been a running part of my life that I have yet to overcome and it is whenever Gary Oldman speaks out of character in his English accent and makes a gasp, audibly. He is tied with Hugh Laurie as the most surprisingly English person in the entertainment industry. At this point, Oldman has done every single accent on Planet Earth and to hear him speak the kings is a genuine shock. Here is a quick video for those who want to dig a little bit deeper into this important issue. 

What was Robert DeNiro thinking when the camera panned to him after Gary Oldman’s award?

When Gary Oldman was walking up to the podium to accept the award for best actor, the camera panned to Robert DeNiro who was lifelessly staring at the ground. The contrast between a veteran actor finally getting his due and a film icon who has essentially coasted through the better part of two decades was sad to see. But things are looking up for DeNiro’s career, with 2017’s “Wizard of Lies” and a Netflix-produced Scorsese film, “The Irishman,” on the way for 2018. I hope that DeNiro was thinking to himself, “Just wait to see what I have in store for 2018,” because to see another “Dirty Grandpa” from DeNiro would break my heart.

Teddy Craven is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.craven_jr@uconn.edu.