HQ Trivia is taking over the globe one question at a time

HQ Trivia is a revolutionary app, available for both Apple and Android devices, and essentially live streams a trivia game show to your phone. (Screenshot courtesy of  HQ Trivia Twitter )

HQ Trivia is a revolutionary app, available for both Apple and Android devices, and essentially live streams a trivia game show to your phone. (Screenshot courtesy of HQ Trivia Twitter)

If you haven’t heard of HQ Trivia yet, you’ve probably been living under a rock for the past few months. This review will certainly help you get out  from under that rock, because HQ is here to stay.

HQ Trivia is a revolutionary app, available for both Apple and Android devices, and essentially live streams a trivia game show to your phone. It takes the idea of streaming to a whole new level and allows people who have always dreamed of being on a game show to do just that. Over 1.5 million people play nightly, so it’s kind of a big deal.

This game show consists of 12 questions, ranging from super easy to near impossible. All questions are multiple choice, with three options. The current minimum jackpot is $2,000, and if you get all 12 questions right, you split the pot with anybody else who survived the gauntlet. For example, if there are 50 winners for a $2,000 pot, each person gets $40. Some people have won as much as $6,000 in a single game.

Designed by the people at Intermedia Labs who also brought us the glory of Vine, HQ has a constant weekly schedule. On weekdays, games will be played at 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. On weekends, games will be played at only 9 p.m. The Sunday night game is particularly special, because HQ makes that jackpot significantly bigger; the prize pool for that night has been as big as $18,000.

You do have to get all 12 questions right to win some money, which can be sent to a PayPal account, but you can get an extra life, only one can be used per game, by referring other players to the game. That extra life can save you and be the key that gets you to the final question. That said, an extra life cannot be used on question 12. You must get the final question correct to win.

The host of the show, Scott Rogowsky, is a topic of much debate among HQ players. Some hate him droning on and on before the game begins and bemoan his bad puns. Others think he is charming and funny, and point to knockoff versions of HQ with less than stellar hosts, citing Rogowsky as a major reason for the game’s success. I personally don’t mind him, but I do realize he can be annoying at times.

There have been some technical difficulties as the game has increased in popularity. HQ’s servers have occasionally had difficulty handling the massive number of players, and some people have been randomly kicked out of games before they start. Still, that’s the price that comes with being a revolutionary service on your phone. On top of that, HQ has been generous to offer second games in the same night to give everyone a chance to play, or if one game shuts down altogether, will start up again within the next hour.

Ultimately, knockoff games that have attempted to emulate the success of HQ are no match for the OG trivia game show on your phone. HQ Trivia is here and it’s here to stay, because it’s the most organized, the most challenging and the most fun. Get this app free and enjoy the potential winnings.

Rating: 4/5

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor  for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.