This Is An S.O.S: A rumored revival of the Jonas Brothers

After nearly five years of radio silence, the Jonas Brotherss official Instagram account was reactivated by the boys, and a photo, posted by one of their backing musicians, started circulating with the caption “Family reunion.” (Photo courtesy of  Jonas Enterprise Twitter )

After nearly five years of radio silence, the Jonas Brotherss official Instagram account was reactivated by the boys, and a photo, posted by one of their backing musicians, started circulating with the caption “Family reunion.” (Photo courtesy of Jonas Enterprise Twitter)

This past weekend, Jonas Brothers’ fans caught the “Lovebug” again, as rumors of the band’s reunion began to fly across social media.

After nearly five years of radio silence, the band’s official Instagram account was reactivated by the boys, and a photo, posted by one of their backing musicians, started circulating with the caption “Family reunion.”

Since then, their fans, now well into their early and mid-20s, channeled their inner 14-year-old fangirl by releasing photos, videos and memes begging the boys to hit the road again and take us back to the mid-2000s.

The brothers, originally from New Jersey, formed their American pop-rock band in 2005.  Their early career was spent promoting themselves by touring alongside names such as Kelly Clarkson, Jesse McCartney and The Backstreet Boys.

At the peak of their career, the band released two more albums, their self-titled album and “A Little Bit Longer,” which introduced the world to fan-favorites “S.O.S.,” “Burnin’ Up” and “Year 3000.”

Throughout their career, the boys were seen as the heartthrobs of the time.  Making many fans’ hearts melt and stirring jealousy everytime they were found in romantic relationships, such as the well-known romance of “Jemi” (Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato), whose roots go back to the making of the 2008 Disney Channel Original Movie, “Camp Rock.”

The band broke up in 2013 after deciding they needed to take a step back from the spotlight and spend more time with their families, according to People.com.

Since the break-up, the boys have done a tremendous amount of soul-searching and growing up.  Kevin, the oldest brother, is now 30 years old, married and raising his two young children.  Joe, 28, has since been touring and writing music with his new band DNCE.  Lastly, but definitely not least, Nick, 25, has traveled the world as a member of Nick Jonas & the Administration, a side-project that he began close to the end of the Jonas Brothers-era, and recently has branched off as a solo artist, releasing three studio albums to date.

Still about a week after the big Instagram reveal, the boys have yet to make a comment about any reunion for the band, only feeding the opportunity for more speculations by their followers.

According to Billboard, it seems like no coincidence that this outbreak arrives the same year that marks the 10-year anniversary of the release of “A Little Bit Longer,” charting No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart back in 2008.

Other fans have speculated that there might be a “Camp Rock 3” in the works. Or a better attempt at their Disney Channel sitcom, “Jonas L.A.”?  Nonetheless, all fans have been eagerly waiting for commentary from the brothers and practically demanding a reunion tour.

If the Jonas Brothers were to make a return, perhaps they would make room the addition of “baby Jonas,” or Frankie Jonas, the youngest of the Jonas family, who is now all grown up at the age of 17, attending Belmont University and seizing some opportunities at voice acting.

No matter what the outcome, all of the boys have clearly not wandered too far from center stage. So, on behalf of the “JoBro” community, please don’t make us wait until the “Year 3000.”

Lucille Littlefield is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucille.littlefield@uconn.edu.