Around the American

It was a busy week in the American Athletic Conference on the women’s side with a few upsets and a couple of crazy finishes. That and more in this week’s women’s edition of Around the American.

Wichita State shocked the American Athletic Conference (AAC) with a comeback win over the South Florida Bulls thanks to their swarming defense. Wichita State held USF to three for 22 (13.6 percent) from deep and outscored the Bulls 20 to four in the fourth quarter. Guard Diamond Lockhart did a little bit of everything for the Shockers with 16 points, eight rebounds, seven assists and no turnovers. Forward Rangie Bessard contributed with 16 points, seven rebounds, two steals and two blocks in 31 minutes.

Guard Kitija Laksa led the way for the Bulls with 16 points in 34 minutes. The Shockers will have a chance to extend their win streak to five in their next game at Memphis on Saturday. USF will play their next game at home on Sunday against Temple.

The East Carolina Lady Pirates won an overtime thriller Saturday night at home against Houston with a score of 80-78. Necole Hope led the way for the Lady Pirates with 18 points in 19 minutes. Hope scored seven of her team’s 11 overtime points. Serithia Hawkins had 22 points in 45 minutes and Jasmyne Harris had 21 points in 43 minutes for the Cougars. East Carolina will look to keep the momentum going into their next game on Wednesday at Tulane.

UCF defended their home court against SMU in a 15 point win. Zikiya Saunders had a career-high 23 points and five steals for UCF. Sophomore Korneila Wright had 11 points, seven assists and four steals. UCF will play their next game in Tulsa on Saturday. McKenzie Adams scored 14 points for the Mustangs. SMU will try turning things around at home against Cincinnati on Wednesday night.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.