Business minors encouraged for all students

The thirteen minors offered by the School of Business provide an alternate way to fulfill elective requirements while developing strategic business skills that can be beneficial to all majors, according to Kayla Hogrefe, an academic advisor from the School of Business. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Office of Undergraduate Advising recommends that students of business and non-business majors consider obtaining a business minor.

The thirteen minors offered by the school provide an alternate way to fulfill elective requirements while developing strategic business skills that can be beneficial to all majors, according to Kayla Hogrefe, an academic advisor from the School of Business.

Some minors, including business fundamentals and entrepreneurship, are only available to non business majors.   

“The minors offered by the School of Business are designed to offer a basic understanding of a variety of business subjects for students looking to further their knowledge base within that subject,” Hogrefe said in an email.

Students can declare their major as soon as they have 54 credits on their UConn transcript, according to Hogrefe. Some have additional prerequisites, such as two entry level accounting classes for an accounting minor, according to the Office of Undergraduate Advising website.

The School of Business minors give students the opportunities to develop their data analysis and business skills without necessarily having a business major, according to the Office of Undergraduate Advising website.

“Having a minor gives students an extra edge with employers looking for intentionality,” Hogrefe said.

Students can use the online form on the Office of Undergraduate website to apply for ten of the thirteen minors, according to Hogrefe.  The other three minors, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship, information assurance and construction engineering and management, can be declared by visiting http://ppc.uconn.edu/ and following the appropriate steps.  

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.