Office for Diversity and Inclusion seeks to promote inclusion on campus with open office hours

The Office for Diversity and Inclusion holds office hours twice a semester and launched the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee last semester, Chief Diversity Officer Joelle Murchison said. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Office for Diversity and Inclusion held open office hours Tuesday from 2-4 p.m.

Associate Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer Joelle Murchison, said she wanted to use the time to understand students’ needs.

“I always hope to have the opportunity to meet new students,” Murchison wrote in an email. “(I want to) learn more about their experiences on campus and any ideas they have for making UConn a more inclusive place.”

The Office for Diversity and Inclusion holds office hours twice a semester and launched the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee last semester, Murchison said.

The office hours were created two months after the office opened its doors in Fall 2016, Murchison said. The office hours came from an open forum called “What’s on your mind” where students wanted to voice their thoughts on diversity and inclusion on campus in a space that would allow them to do so.

Murchison encouraged students to reach out outside of office hours.

“I do hope that students find their way to us as it allows us to better focus our efforts on the issues and programs that matter to students,” she said.

The office has other programs it is working on this semester, Murchison said. It just sponsored the Anita Hill program last week, and the upcoming programs this semester will bring recognition to Black History Month, Women’s Herstory Month and Asian Awareness Month, Murchison said.

The office has been reaching out beyond Storrs as well, Murchison added.

“We also have a space at the Hartford campus and have been engaged with getting connected with students there, as well as at the other regional campuses,” Murchison said.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.