USG prepares for joint elections

In past elections, the average number of votes cast reached around 2,200, according to USG President Irma Valverde. The new online voting process more than doubled that number last year, Valverde said. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) has started to prepare for the joint election of USG president, vice president and comptroller, as well as for the election of an undergraduate representative to the board of trustees and the UConn Foundation, which will occur later this semester.

Students will vote through the online voting system introduced during last year’s election, according to USG President Irma Valverde. The updated USG constitution will be brought up for referendum, Valverde added.

“(Using) UConntact, students sign in with their Net IDs and can cast their vote for their senator as well as President, Vice President and Comptroller,” Valverde said by email. “This year USG will also be bringing an updated Constitution up for referendum.”

In past elections, the average number of votes cast reached around 2,200, according to Valverde. The new online voting process more than doubled that number last year, Valverde said.

Valverde said she feels that tabling done by Student Activities last year during the elections increased student interest in them.

“I believe the tabling done by Student Activities was the reason behind this increased turn out,” Valverde said.

The tabling event will be held again this year, Valverde said.

While no students have announced their candidacy yet, Valverde said those interested typically start to campaign in the beginning of the spring semester or the end of the fall.

“Campaigning usually consists of a lot of social media specifically through Facebook and Instagram posts,” Valverde said. “Another aspect of campaigning includes visiting student organizations during their meetings. During which candidates take time to talk about their qualifications and platform for their campaign.”

Valverde said USG hopes that the techniques used last year will continue to increase the number of students who vote in this year’s election.

“We were super excited about the great turnout compared to past years and hoping for the same again,” Valverde said.

Molly Desrochers is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.desrochers@uconn.edu.