Don’t Call It A Comeback Tour: What happens when there is no answer?

I don’t have an answer now and I’m sure when I graduate I’m still going to have lots of questions with no real answers. (File)

My morning routine is basically the same thing every day. I wake up around 7:30 am, go into my kitchen and fill up the coffee maker with Café Du Monte coffee and a full carafe (around four cups). I turn it on and then jump into the shower. By time I get out, about 10-15 minutes later, the coffee is ready to go and I have my first mug. Then I pull on clothes, stuff everything into my bag, delicately balance my camera in there and then do that weird pat down that everyone does to make sure they have their wallet, keys and phone. Normally by that point, I have about 20 minutes till the bus which means I have time for one more mug of coffee.

That schedule is basically how I have to start my day in some capacity or else it’s going to be a rough day. The coffee is arguably the most important thing. If I don’t have at least two mugs of coffee, my day is going to be disaster. If I forget my watch, my day is ruined because I’ll be constantly twisting my wrist wondering where the weight is. And my camera. Without my camera, I’ll basically go through the day trying to avoid everything because I’ll cry if I miss a good photo. #justphotographerthings

You’ll see a lot of slogans throughout life talking about routine and that you need to break it to find new things. And that’s cool and all, but routine is a huge part of college. Without it, we basically get nothing done. When we get set into a schedule, it’s really hard to break which is really good for attending classes and allows us to know our schedule all the time.

There’s just one little problem with having a routine. Specifically the problem comes when you have to change that routine. I’ve written about this before, but I’m working on getting in shape this semester which means eating less, going to the gym and getting sleep. The first two are easy enough, I’m a super senior so I have enough time in my schedule to go to the gym and eat well.

But the sleep thing. That’s where the challenge is. It’s college, nobody really sleeps. In fact, my normal bedtime is 1:30 a.m. I’d go to bed earlier, but I have homework and actual work. The reason I drink two mugs of coffee in the morning is because it basically takes the place of sleep.

But according to everyone I’ve talked to, there is no real substitution for sleep. No matter you’re your routine calls for. Now I’m at this awkward place where I’m trying to somehow open up my schedule to allow for sleep. But I don’t want to break my schedule because I’m scared of what might happen. Last year, I broke my schedule all the time. I figured it was college and so why not. And that all went beautifully. It went so well that I got to have a victory lap.

This column, unlike most of my other columns, doesn’t have some kind of important message. There is no moral to the story. My whole goal this semester was to turn my life around, get healthy and finally graduate. Now I’m being confronted with my first real problem of the semester and I don’t know really know what to do. Will I find a solution to this whole debacle? Probably. But I’ve come up with a real question now: What do you do when nobody can give you answer?

In college, we are faced with a lot of problems and no real answers. I don’t have an answer now and I’m sure when I graduate I’m still going to have lots of questions with no real answers. It doesn’t matter how foolproof your routine is and you think your life is. There will always be something that comes in and screws everything up. So update, there is a moral. Life is a sh*tshow and that is terrifying.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and weekly columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.