FAFSA deadlines approach

Beginning in late April, students will be notified of their awards via email, according to the FSA website. (Screenshot)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is now available for students via the Federal Student Aid (FSA) website and deadlines to fill out the application are approaching.

The deadline to file for continuing UConn undergraduate and graduate students, new freshman, new transfer students and new school of social work students is March 1, according to the UConn Office of Financial Aid Services. The deadline for new graduate students, not in the school of social work, is May 1.

The FAFSA is the largest provider of student financial aid in the U.S. and is available to all students who fit basic eligibility credentials, according to the FSA website.

To apply, students can either file online, by phone at 1-800-433-3243 or through the mail. Applicants will need their social security number (or alien registration number if they’re not a U.S. citizen), their federal income tax returns, bank statements and records of investments, untaxed income records and an FSA ID, according to the FSA website.

To obtain an FSA ID, students must register on the FSA website, the website said. Students can apply beginning October 1 of that tax year.

FAFSA rewards are based off income and overall financial need, according to the FSA website. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available online to transfer student’s financial information from the 2016 year, according to the UConn Office of Financial Aid Services.

Beginning in late April, students will be notified of their awards via email, according to the FSA website.

Collin Sitz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at collin.sitz@uconn.edu.