NCAA inquiry being conducted into UConn men’s basketball

(AP photo/Jessica Hill)

(AP photo/Jessica Hill)

The NCAA is conducting an inquiry of the UConn men’s basketball program potentially involved with recruiting, Hearst Connecticut Media first reported.

“We are working closely with the NCAA’s enforcement division as they conduct this inquiry,” UConn said in a statement released this morning.

The statement said the university had retained Lightfoot, Franklin and White law firm for the NCAA-mandated internal review they completed last fall following allegations directed at the men’s basketball program and will work with them during this inquiry as well.

“The University and its athletic department are committed to a culture of compliance with all NCAA regulations,” the statement said. “We will appropriately address and respond to this inquiry and continue cooperating fully with the NCAA as this process moves forward.” 

Last fall, the FBI released findings that revealed corruption, bribery and fraud scandals impacting college basketball programs at universities like the University of South Carolina, University of Arizona, University of Louisville, University of Miami and Oklahoma State. Long time Louisville head coach Rick Pitino was fired in light of the investigation.

The FBI’s investigation involved various figures involved in college basketball programs making various illegal recruiting deals including deals with Adidas, bribing players to come to their school and accepting bribes in exchange for access to players.

Hearst Connecticut Media reported that a UConn source said the FBI has not contacted the school and that this inquiry is not linked to the FBI investigation.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.