Sisters Inspiring Sisters to raise money for disaster relief through Dance for a Cause

If you are looking for something to do tomorrow night, Sisters Inspiring Sisters’ Dance for a Cause is a great way to showcase your altruistic side while also dancing the night away. (Photo courtesy of writer)

Sisters Inspiring Sisters will host a Dance for a Cause event Saturday to benefit disaster relief.

Sisters Inspiring Sisters, a part of the African American Cultural Center, is an organization dedicated to creating a safe space on campus for women of color, organizing events meant to build connections, developing interpersonal relationships as well as providing access to resources to help incoming and current students adjust to life on campus. This is Sisters Inspiring Sisters first time hosting a Dance for a Cause event, but they are hopeful that enough students will come help them reach their goal.

For those unfamiliar with the Dance for a Cause event, it is an organized dance where University of Connecticut students and their friends can raise money for a specific cause or charity.

“The Dance for a Cause event is [an] organized event designed to inspire campus students to donate towards hurricane relief, while dancing and having a good time,” the organization said.

Sisters Inspiring Sisters will be raising money for disaster relief in the United States. The organization says that the aftermath of natural disasters in the southeastern United States has inspired them to help in any way possible. While they haven’t decided on which charity will be the recipient of their funds yet, they are doing plenty of research to ensure that the money raised will be going towards a good cause.

Dance for a Cause will run from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. tomorrow night, giving participants plenty of time to dance their hearts out. The event is open to University of Connecticut students with a valid UConn ID, and only costs $3 to attend. University of Connecticut students are also welcome to bring people who are not students here at UConn. According to Sisters Inspiring Sisters, all people are welcome provided that they are accompanied by a UConn student.

For those feeling particularly altruistic, the group will also be accepting additional donations at their event. The Dance for a Cause event will be located in the heart of campus in the Student Union Ballroom, making it perfect for students who may want to spend a night out dancing, but don’t have a car.

Additionally, the event will be taking place at the same time as Late Night, so students attending Late Night can stop in for as long as they want to dance in between checking out activities. It wouldn’t be a dance without music, so Sisters Inspiring Sisters booked DJ K.C. Clarke to perform at Dance for a Cause.

If you are looking for something to do tomorrow night, Sisters Inspiring Sisters’ Dance for a Cause is a great way to showcase your altruistic side while also dancing the night away.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.