UConn student develops dining app

The app allows users to view what is being served at each dining hall and which ones are open. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

A University of Connecticut senior has created an app to help his fellow huskies navigate the on-campus dining scene.

Trevor Phillips, an eighth-semester computer science and engineering major, developed the ChewConn app for iOS. The app allows users to view what is being served at each dining hall and which ones are open.

“I didn’t like how slow the UConn app was, so I thought it would be a good app to create (for) the target audience — UConn students,” Phillips said.

Phillips said his app is easier to navigate than the dining feature on the My UConn app.

“It’s quicker and easier to use. It only takes a couple taps and you can see what your dining hall is serving, whereas with My UConn you kind of have to go through a bunch of things,” Phillips said.

Students can also search for specific items and save their favorites.

“I thought that would just be a useful feature to students,” Phillips said. “The app is meant to help make things a lot quicker and it makes it a lot easier to see.”

A novel feature of the app is that users can link it to their Apple health tracker to monitor nutritional information.

“I tried to submit the app without that feature and Apple said it didn’t have enough unique features,” Phillips said on why he included this feature.

While he does not currently have plans to change anything about the app, Phillips said he is open to making changes that are suggested.

“If people reach out (to) me with feedback for features they would like to see added, then yeah, I would consider updating it,” Phillips said.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.