Willimantic Waste Paper Co up in flames

Firefighters are currently battling a large fire at Willimantic Waste Paper Co Inc.

Officials were called to the scene at around 10:30 a.m., according to NBC Connecticut. Officials said no one was inside the building at the time of the fire and no injuries have been reported.

The cause has not been yet determined.

Firefighters, police and the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection crews are all on the scene, according to NBC Connecticut.

Windham Town Manager Jim Rivers told NBC Connecticut though they don’t believe there are hazardous materials burning inside, DEEP officials are on scene to monitor air quality.

Rivers told NBC there are at least 10 departments on scene and is asking residents to conserve water so crews can use more for the fire.

“We’re hunkering down for quite a long time here,” Rivers said to NBC. “I think we’re going to be on the scene here possibly for days.”

Residents are advised to avoid the area and stay inside to avoid smoke.

There is heavy smoke at the building, according to WFSB Channel 3. Traffic from Holbrook Avenue to Roanoak Avenue is currently closed, according to the Willimantic Fire Department.

According to NBC Connecticut Chief Meteorologist Ryan Hanrahan’s Twitter, smoke from the fire is showing up on NBC Connecticut’s weather radar from about 4,000 feet above the ground.

Willimantic Waste Paper Co has provided residential and commercial garbage service, bulk waste removal and dumpster rental in Danielson, Norwich, Manchester and surrounding parts of Eastern Connecticut for over 75 years, according to their website.

They also offer recycling removal and a bulk waste collection service to homes and businesses in Eastern Connecticut.

Willimantic Waste Paper Co provides single-stream recycling bins to the University of Connecticut. They allow for any recyclable material to be discarded in any recycling bin, regardless of how the bin is labeled.

The company was unavailable for comment. This will be updated as the story develops.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.