Migos’ ‘Culture II’ lacks editing and direction

Migos perform onstage at the 2018 Pre-Grammy Gala And Salute To Industry Icons at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018, in New York. (Photo by Michael Zorn/Invision/AP)

On Friday Jan. 25, Migos released “Culture II,” the highly anticipated sequel to their 2017 hit album “Culture.”

The first song on the album,titled “Higher We Go - Intro,” introduces the overall theme of the album. As Quavo sings in the chorus of this track, “Higher we go/Beg and plead for the culture.” The rest of the album follows the same idea of doing everything “for the culture,” such as trapping, buying expensive cars and jewelry and wearing the best designer clothing.

“Culture II” features many of the same artists as “Culture,” including Gucci Mane, Travis Scott and 2 Chainz. Some new features include Drake on the track “Walk It Talk It” and Post Malone on “Notice Me.”

“Culture II” is a 24-track album and runs for one hour and 45 minutes. Each song is at least four minutes, often bordering closer to five. While this is an impressive amount of content, it’s completely unnecessary. At least half of the songs on the album sound exactly the same and aren’t essential to the makeup of the album.

The album starts off strong with the introductory song which has a cool beat, signature Migos sound and clear connection to the theme. However, the strength that starts off the album is not continued. Because of their extreme similarity and lethargic beats, songs like “Flooded,” “Beast,” “Movin’ Too Fast” and “Work Hard” seem like afterthoughts.

One standout track on the album that wasn’t previously released as a single is “White Sand,” featuring Travis Scott, Ty Dolla $ign and Big Sean. This song shares the same type of catchy beat as other popular Migos songs such as “MotorSport.” Between that and the lengthy feature list, “White Sand” could most definitely become a new Migos hit.

Another strong track is “BBO (Bad Bitches Only)” featuring 21 Savage. Migos seem to perform best when other artists feature on their tracks, as shown by “BBO” as well as “CC,” which features Gucci Mane.

Two notable Migos-only songs are “Emoji A Chain” and “Open It Up.” Both are fairly standard Migos songs but have more driving and energetic musical lines than many of the other tracks on the album.

“Culture II” seems to fluctuate between strong and weak throughout the first half of the album. However, after “MotorSport,” which is track 17, the album takes a steep nose-dive. These last seven tracks include “Notice Me,” featuring Post Malone, which was disappointingly boring. “Made Men” and “Top Down On Da NAWF” are completely unnecessary and sound like at least five other songs on the album. Not even the last song “Culture National Anthem - Outro” saved the second half, and the album ended on a tired, unmemorable note.

Overall, “Culture II” wasn’t a total disappointment; it just lacked any sort of editing, which would have made the album more successful. While there are certainly single songs that are catchy and will most likely become party hits, the album as a whole lacked vision and direction. If the album were cut in half and decluttered, “Culture II” could have been one of the most successful rap albums of 2018.

Rating: 2.5/5

Lucie Turkel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucie.turkel@uconn.edu.