The biggest NBA All-Star snubs from each conference

Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James, left, drives to the basket against Detroit Pistons' Andre Drummond in the first half of an NBA basketball game, Sunday, Jan. 28, 2018, in Cleveland. The Cavaliers won 121-104. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

NBA All-Star season is one of the best times to be a fan. You get to vote for your favorite players to make the team, patiently wait and see who makes it and then contribute to Twitter rage (along with the players themselves) about who got snubbed. This year was no different, as there is no shortage of talented players that didn’t make the team, but also no shortage of Twitter divas to make the snubs way more interesting. There were at least two snubs from each conference this season, so I’ll identify the top two here.

Andre Drummond: Currently leading the league in rebounds and salty All-Star snub tweets, Drummond deserved a spot on the Eastern team this season. The Detroit center is averaging 14.7 points, 15.3 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.3 blocks per game on 54.7 percent shooting from the field and 63.1 percent from the free throw line. His rebounds, assists, steals and free-throw percentage are all career-highs and the Pistons currently sit at ninth in the East despite missing starting point guard Reggie Jackson for 13 games. For context, Detroit has gone 3-10 with Jackson out and was 19-14 with him, a stark difference in record. If Jackson had still been playing and the Pistons had gone something like 7-6 in those 13 games, Drummond would most likely be an All-Star right now. Unfortunately, he gains the top spot on the biggest snub list.

Ben Simmons: If the Wizards at 26-21 can get two All-Stars, then why shouldn’t the Philadelphia 76ers at 23-21, with two players easily performing at All-Star levels? One of those players, Joel Embiid, was rewarded with a starting spot in this year’s game while missing nine games, while his buddy Ben Simmons is being forced to watch from the stands. Simmons has missed only one game, and is averaging 16.4 points, 8.1 rebounds, 7.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game while shooting 50.9 percent from the field. Simmons is not as crucial to the Sixers’ success as Embiid is, but he is still very valuable to the team, and maybe more important to his team’s success than Kyle Lowry is to the Raptors. Simmons is a 6-foot-10 point guard, plays terrific defense and causes mismatch problems for any other team in the league. He’s going to be an All-Star eventually, but this year it seems he lost it because of coaches’ familiarity with other players.

Paul George: No one hopes for a player to get injured, but Paul George probably isn’t all too upset that DeMarcus Cousins went down for the year now that he gets to replace him in the All-Star game. However, even though George is an injury reserve, that doesn’t mean he didn’t get snubbed to begin with. George may be having a down year according to some, but the forward is averaging 21 points, 5.5 rebounds, three assists and a league-leading 2.2 steals per game while shooting 43.4 percent from the field and 42 percent from three. With Kawhi Leonard barely playing this season, George has become the best 3-and-D player in the league and would probably look even better if the Thunder ran a better offense. Still, George has been one of the best defenders in the league this season and is still a very reliable offensive player, and should have easily made the team.

Lou Williams: The popping fan pick for All-Star, Lou Will actually made himself a great case for the team in most likely the only season he would’ve had a chance to make it. On a Clippers team ravaged by injuries, Williams is averaging 23.6 points and 5.2 assists per game on 45.3 percent shooting from the field, 40 percent from three and 89.8 percent from the free-throw line. He has also been carrying the Clippers back into the playoff picture after the team originally faltered when Blake Griffin was hurt, and they now sit at ninth in the West with a 24-24 record. If not for Williams, the team likely would have no shot at the playoffs right now, and he should be rewarded for his efforts.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.