What to know about the 2018 festival season

Many of the summer’s biggest music festivals recently released their 2018 lineups, making festival season, and summer, seem closer than the harsh January weather makes it feel.(Photo courtesy of  Coachella's Facebook )

Many of the summer’s biggest music festivals recently released their 2018 lineups, making festival season, and summer, seem closer than the harsh January weather makes it feel.(Photo courtesy of Coachella's Facebook)

Many of the summer’s biggest music festivals recently released their 2018 lineups, making festival season, and summer, seem closer than the harsh January weather makes it feel.

The biggest festivals of the season, including Bonnaroo in Manchester, Tennessee; Boston Calling in Boston, Massachusetts; Coachella in Indio, California; Firefly in Dover, Delaware and The Governors Ball in New York, New York boast many of the same huge headliners. The main star of this year’s festival circuit is Eminem, who is headlining all five of these huge festivals and possibly even more to come.

The Killers are another big name this year, headlining Bonnaroo, Boston Calling and Firefly. Jack White is another popular headliner, playing at Boston Calling and The Governors Ball.

While not a headliner, Khalid is pretty high up on the roster for Bonnaroo, Boston Calling and The Governors Ball. Tyler, the Creator is also making an appearance at both Boston Calling and Coachella.

Many smaller bands are also on the big festival circuit this year, albeit in less coveted time slots. One of these is Brockhampton, the breakout boy band. They’re playing Bonnaroo, Boston Calling, Coachella and The Governors Ball. Kelela is another fresh face on the circuit, who became more widely known with her electro-R&B track “Blue Light.” She’s playing at Coachella and The Governors Ball.

Portugal. The Man, the alternative band that has recently received mainstream attention for their radio hit “Feel It Still,” will also be travelling this summer, appearing at Boston Calling, Coachella and Firefly. SZA is another breakout star that will be entering the festival scene this summer, playing Coachella and Firefly.

While these festivals share many of the same headliners and smaller artists, there are still major differences between the five. Coachella has The Weeknd headlining their Friday shows and Beyoncé headlining their Saturday shows. Both artists are only playing Coachella. Travis Scott is headlining The Governors Ball Saturday show and doesn’t appear anywhere else on the festival circuit.

Firefly boasts Kendrick Lamar, who, although going on his own tour this summer, isn’t doing any other festivals. Arctic Monkeys are also headlining Firefly. The band hasn’t performed for four years, so this reintroduction at Firefly is sure to be incredibly special.

Other standout artists at Coachella include Migos, Cardi B and The War on Drugs. At Boston Calling, there’s Bryson Tiller, Fleet Foxes and The Decemberists. Firefly has Lil Wayne, Logic and Martin Garrix.

Boston Calling, Coachella and The Governors Ball have all released their by-day lineups, and one-day tickets are now being sold. While Bonnaroo and Firefly have released their overall lineup posters, the by-day breakdown is yet to be announced.

Meanwhile, there’s still the Lollapalooza lineup to look forward to. This festival, which takes place in Chicago, Illinois, is one of the biggest in America and always has famous headliners, so it’s likely that Eminem will appear there as well.

Another lineup that’s still a mystery is Panorama, which also takes place at Randall’s Island Park in New York City. 2018 will only mark the festival’s third year of existence, but it already has an amazing lineup history: just last year, Frank Ocean, Solange, Tame Impala and A Tribe Called Quest were all headliners.

Overall, this year’s festival lineups are a perfect mix of repeating stars and new voices.

Lucie Turkel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucie.turkel@uconn.edu.