Governor Malloy to address state legislature in annual State of the State address

“Since this is the start to his final year in office, it’s his lame duck year,” LaPorte said. “Everybody knows he is historically unpopular, I don’t think his policy proposals will be very ambitious.” (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy will be delivering his annual State of the State address on Feb. 7, according to the National Governors Association.

Malloy, who is not seeking a third term as governor in 2018, will be delivering his penultimate State of the State address to the Connecticut General Assembly next Wednesday.

University of Connecticut student and fourth semester political science major Frederick Augur said that the race for governor would be a hard topic to avoid in Malloy’s upcoming address.

‘I’m curious to hear what (Malloy’s) thoughts are on the large number of declared gubernatorial candidates and what he believes this means for the future of Connecticut politics,” Augur said.

In his 2017 address, Malloy spoke at-length on the topic of the state economy, citing a welcoming business climate that has kept companies like United Technologies and Electric Boat in the state.

But eighth semester political science major Mike LaPorte said he believes it would be impossible for the governor to make a similar claim this year.

“Alexion is gone, Aetna is trying to leave, GE left a while ago, it’s rather obvious that companies are fleeing Malloy’s taxes,” LaPorte said. “It’s a travesty what’s happening.”

In New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s State of the State address last month, Cuomo announced his plans for multiple large state projects such as improving wastewater and groundwater treatment plant infrastructure and going forward with the planning of a tunnel going from Long Island underneath the Long Island Sound to the shores of Connecticut.

LaPorte said that he doubts Malloy will propose any similar plans for the next year because he is “weak.”

“Since this is the start to his final year in office, it’s his lame duck year,” LaPorte said. “Everybody knows he is historically unpopular, I don’t think his policy proposals will be very ambitious.”

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.