Melissa’s Menu: Red velvet churros

This week on Melissa's Menu: red velvet churros. The dessert combines two classic recipes that savors the cinnamon-sugary crust of churros and the rich flavors of red velvet and cream cheese. (Screenshot courtesy of Tasty.com)

Sometimes the best desserts come from combining two classic recipes to create a unique and fresh creation. This week’s recipe, red velvet churros, does just that. The cinnamon-sugary crust and doughy goodness that we know and love from churros is there, as well as the rich flavors of red velvet and cream cheese. Together, they come together to create a mouth-wateringly delicious dessert that will leave you craving more. If you’re looking for an easy but different dessert to make, look no further, these churros are irresistible!

Ingredients: (for roughly 12 churros)

• 2 cups water
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup red velvet cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • canola oil, for frying
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

In a pot over medium-high heat, bring water, sugar and butter to a boil. Add in the flour and the cake mix, then stir vigorously until mixture has no streaks. Remove from heat and add the eggs, stirring until the dough is fully combined and begins to take the shape of a ball. Transfer dough into a piping bag with a size nine star tip. Pipe three to four inches (about 7-10 cm) strips of dough onto a baking sheet. Freeze for about 30 minutes. Heat the canola oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Fry the churros for about three to four minutes. Once fried, remove them from oil and drain on paper towels. Using a straw, poke a hole through the centers of the churros to hollow out a cavity for the filling. I recommend making the hole slightly wider than the straw so it’s easier to fill. On a separate plate, combine the cinnamon and the sugar and mix until it is a uniform color. Roll the hollowed out churros in the cinnamon sugar.
In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Transfer filling into a piping bag with a round tip. Pipe the filling into the churros and serve.

If you are pressed for time, you can even make the dough and filling ahead of time and just pull them out of the fridge right as you need them. These churros are the perfect blend of two classic dessert and are sure to be a crowd pleaser!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.